Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wall-Mounted Media Console - Door Making

Brian,
    My thoughts from reading the build (in order):
    - Yup, bandsaw dust. When is he getting that dust collector?
    - Nice on the resaw even without an auxiliary fence; am surprised no cupping afterwards
    - Wow on the work-- dovetailed battens and cutting the tenons while in place.
    - Nice chamfers; very even

Thanks for the inspiring build posts.
    I did want to ask if it went as smoothly as suggested by the post. Things like splitting out the tenons on your stiles or cutting the tenons across all your battens at once seem fraught with things that could go awry quickly.

And did the rabbet on the panel and stile tenon get cut together while dry-fit, or were the pieces done separately? (which is how I've normally approached frame and panel work?)

Also

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Hills View Post
    Brian,
    My thoughts from reading the build (in order):
    - Yup, bandsaw dust. When is he getting that dust collector?
    - Nice on the resaw even without an auxiliary fence; am surprised no cupping afterwards
    - Wow on the work-- dovetailed battens and cutting the tenons while in place.
    - Nice chamfers; very even

Thanks for the inspiring build posts.
    I did want to ask if it went as smoothly as suggested by the post. Things like splitting out the tenons on your stiles or cutting the tenons across all your battens at once seem fraught with things that could go awry quickly.

And did the rabbet on the panel and stile tenon get cut together while dry-fit, or were the pieces done separately? (which is how I've normally approached frame and panel work?)

Also
    My pleasure, glad that you are enjoying!

Dust collector is in, and I'm thankful it is because each time I did a resaw like that I filled the garage with dust. Couple times of that and my wife would like to kill me. I bought a Oneida V3000.

Jointing the face and edge of the board helped tremendously, and while a bit of learning curve in resawing, I cut everything thick so that I had some room to readjust to counter minor cupping.

Always worth further examining, I split those tenons because they were 1/4" long, it actually produced a more accurate joint than sawing, given the height. I'm extremely particular about grain, so those stiles had everything going for them before I decided to split. If the grain were running 20 degrees to the face, then it wouldn't have gone well.

I've enough experience, I suppose, in cutting all the tenons that I proceed carefully. I cut them two at a time, then once the first two are cut I use it as a guide for the third. In addition, I can catch things before they go totally south and adjust. Maybe next I will post a video of that so that people can see the effort involved. Still, it is faster than removing the battens and cutting them individually.

I cut the rabbet with the panel and stiles assembled. I do that for the reason that It allows me to have a perfect straight line across the entire piece. I kicked myself for not taking a photo of the process but basically I place a batten at my mark and use a dado plane with a heavy set nicker. Then, before cutting, I chisel cut the edges that would break out, to prevent them from doing so.

Great questions!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Love those sliding doors and battened construction. Beautiful wood selection and execution, as usual. I agree with Matthew on the chamfers being nice- always one of my favorite details on your pieces. Can I ask who is the maker of your mentori kanna?

Thanks for sharing.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Robert! Much appreciated, especially that you all notice the details which, as you know as makers, are often very time consuming and require extensive planning.

The maker of my mentori kanna is Tsunesaburo.

Brian, just excellent (sorry for the belated response). I'm curious, what method did you use to attach the ebony 'pull-tabs' into the door-recess? Did you just glue (epoxy?) them in cross-grain or use a fastener of some type?

Blog Entries
    Thank you!

Just glue, I wanted them to be sacrificial rather than chance breaking out a larger section of the door should anything go wrong.

I see, thank you.