Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Finally!! New house, new shop and new tools!

A little update on the shop. Got power to the shop a few weeks ago and inspections went without a hitch. I'd say the shop is about 90% operational, just need to find a location for my drill press and a PM mortiser that's coming in soon.

I also got my paint booth put together (or slapped together), I didn't spend much time planning out the spray booth. I figured I'd just slap something together to get me by for now until I can drywall the basement in and seal off the room properly. All the plastic I hug does a good job but I do have to be careful when moving around in there not to poke a hole in it. The zip wall is works like a charm as well and I'm very happy with it. I had a shop fan laying around I had plan to use but felt it was too small for a 200 sq. ft. spray booth so I ended up ordering the one shown in the picture. Specs claim 4000 cfm (yeah right) and it does move a lot of air. I used it over the weekend as soon as I finished it to spray a clear coat on that cabinet shown in the picture and not once did it get misty in the booth so I guess it's working as it should.

The filter for the exhaust fan is taped to a frame I put together and the frame rides on a hinge. This allows me to flip open the filter to get to the fan to push it right to the edge of the window to reduce bounce back.

I also plan to come back in and maybe add 2 more filters for incoming air. I feel the 1 filter I have now isn't letting enough air in because the plastic walls would cave in on me. It created enough negative pressure to pull the 2x4 right off that I had double side taped to the ground. I ended up having to come back and driving a few nails in it using my ramset.

For those that have made successful spray booth and have advise on how to improve my set-up, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks,
    Hoang

20170205_152819_1486350787536_resized.jpg20170205_152756_1486350791039_resized.jpg20170205_152700_1486350797873_resized.jpg20170205_152709_1486350794571_resized.jpg

are those the 2ft x 4 ft led flat panel lights from the borg? Great shop, I'm a bit jealous. I'll be stripping my garage this summer and finishing it, keeping a wishlist.

Yes they are, I bought 3 of them for about $45 a piece. I plan to buy a few more to add to the shop in the coming months once I get a few projects crossed off my list.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Herman View Post
    are those the 2ft x 4 ft led flat panel lights from the borg? Great shop, I'm a bit jealous. I'll be stripping my garage this summer and finishing it, keeping a wishlist.

Great sized shop.... I'm envious!
    This thread could use more eye candy pictures

Congrats on the house, shop and new equipment!

Interestingly, I have a Powermatic P15 - with the original 3-knife cutterhead - and it's provided me flawless service over its 15 year lifetime.

I was also glad to hear you picked up a Fuji Q5 Platinum turbine HVLP system. I've been very impressed with its ability to atomize practically any finish I've thrown at it.

Again, congrats all around!
    Marty Schlosser
    Kingston, ON, Canada
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/apexwoodworks/
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ApexWoodworksFurniture/
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkmbvXb44CJ9t17SbHEWxJg/videos

Hoang,

Congratulations on getting the shop up and running. How tall are the ceilings in the basement? You mentioned that you have a separate AC unite or zone for the shop? We are close to signing a contract to build a new house and I'm having 9 foot ceilings in my 2200 SQ ft Man Cave / Shop.
    Rich

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
    - General George Patton Jr

My ceilings are 9' tall. I have a portable AC unit I plan to set up once the summer comes around. I was going to see how well that handles before I drop the cash on a mini split unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Konopka View Post
    Hoang,

Congratulations on getting the shop up and running. How tall are the ceilings in the basement? You mentioned that you have a separate AC unite or zone for the shop? We are close to signing a contract to build a new house and I'm having 9 foot ceilings in my 2200 SQ ft Man Cave / Shop.

Blog Entries
    Hoang, my solution to scary panels is to have my own sub-panel. In our new house, I wired up a 240v 70A breaker to a service disconnect. From there, I wired up a subpanel. I can pull the lever on the disconnect and play all I want with my own breaker box. I only had to mess with the scary main panel once and I only had the power to the house off for a couple of hours. Now I have a choice of ways to kill power to the shop:
    -- I can turn off the breaker to the sub-panel in the main panel.
    -- I can throw the switch on the disconnect
    -- I can disable individual breakers in the sub-panel.

A bonus is that I mounted the service disconnect where a little kid can get to it. "If grandpa gets in trouble, pull the big lever."

This is the third shop I've wired this way. Never needed the big lever for an emergancy but it's nice to have.

The Ghost of Kent Bathurst

20170225_005130_resized.jpg

My brand-new shop is haunted.

We recently moved into our newly-built home, and I got the shop all set up.

Then, last weekend, this item somehow got spirited from the back of Kent's storage unit 25 miles away [where it has been for a year] out here to the suburbs, and appeared in my shop. Including a full set of top-end HCM chisels, bits, sharpening tools, etc. 20 years old, works like a dream.

Now, I can make square mortises. The only downside is this spooky voice that haunts the shop, laughing about my Domino.

I can't begin to express how grateful I'm for this man, the knowledge and experience he shares along with his generosity.

I just finished reading this thread from the beginning. Hoang - Great job and congrats on the new shop! It's always interesting and informative reading about shop builds.

Edit: Gotta ask, how did you get all the equipment in the basement. Walkout?
    Last edited by Steve Mathews; 02-27-2017 at 12:38 PM.

Super nice shop. You are lucky to have so much space. Enjoy and make some beautiful things from wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    I just finished reading this thread from the beginning. Hoang - Great job and congrats on the new shop! It's always interesting and informative reading about shop builds.

Edit: Gotta ask, how did you get all the equipment in the basement. Walkout?
    Yup, I had the builders put in a double door walkout.

Very nice Hoang! Glad to see someone actually purchasing some substantial equipment for their shop instead of big box store machinery. Looks like a very nice place to work! BRAVO!