Thread: newbe just saying Hi

newbe just saying Hi

I have had a wood shop for years and last Christmas bought myself the small 10X18 Harbor freight lathe for about $150 after 20% discount. Thought I was getting in cheep Its been a year and about $1000 dollars later I just did a slight upgrade to a Grizzly G0462 Not the lathe I wanted but the one I could afford. I have mostly turned bowls, pens, and bottle stoppers and with the larger lathe I hope to get into more hollow forms I would call my skills as beginner/getting better. I have joined the MN wood turners association and have been going to the meetings and this past week my wife Joanna also joined the club. So now I dont have to hide the $$$ going down into the hobby looking forward to being a member as I have been on a car forum and found it to be very helpful.

2. Welcome to SMC, Chuck.....lots of fine turners here, so feel free to share your work.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Wow, I wish my wife would be interested. Her only interest is paying for things. She turned a pen once, she's happy. There's a lot of help here if you need it, just ask!

JKJ

Welcome to the vortex. I think that you are getting some feel for the $$$$$$$$$$ that you can part with and some of the toys that you NEED. You might try some little lidded boxes to add to your experience. Little boxes do not require a lot of special tools or investment and make nice gifts/sale items.

Hi Chuck! Welcome to the Creek! Looking forward to seeing some of your work!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I second Thomas' comment. Small boxes can be a real nice way to learn and can be done with few tools.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Awesome work Chuck. I like them all!!
    Perhaps you would get more looks and comments if you started a new thread.
    Welcome to the creek!