Thread: Wynn filter

Wynn filter

I apologize if this has been brought up before...I've tried searching but was unable to find anything.
    I'm going to upgrade my UFO-101 dust collector with the Wynn Filter. When you go to their 35A series application notes: https://wynnenv.com/woodworking-filt...ication-notes/ they talk about a "Dust Collector Defect" where "Some collectors came with the orifice pan welded “below” the air inlet port which causes dust to get sucked out of the dust collection bag."
    IMG_2146.jpg
    This is exactly what I've got. Can anyone shed some light on what they mean by removing the orifice pan and installing a "two part donut system"?
    Thanks in advance.
    Sincerely, Dave.
    Last edited by david mcintyre; 01-11-2017 at 5:37 PM.

Havent had to deal with this issue, but I have contacted Wynn and they were pretty helpful. Shoot them an email or give them a call.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

If that view is looking down the the collector ring is inverted. Just disassemble it and turn the ring over. It was probably put together wrong.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

You can use a donut but, as David states, looks like your DC has been assembled upside down. Even when its reversed, unless you put a Thein baffle in or some sort of second stage in front of the filter, be careful not to fill the bag too much (more than 1/2) otherwise the dust will still get sucked up into the filter area and clog your Wynn quickly

Thanks everyone for the quick replies.

• I had contacted Wynn about which filter to buy but hadn't seen the page about the dust collector defect. They were very helpful.
    • I will turn the collector ring over. I must have installed it incorrectly back in the early 90's when I acquired the DC.
    • I bought a cyclone trash can lid a long time ago also, but have been reading up on the thien baffle and am definitely going to be building one of those asap. The "cyclone" lid doesn't work worth a hoot.

Thanks again, guys.
    Sincerely, Dave.