Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Win7 HELP! My mom got scammed.

It's also possible to download genuine Windows images from Microsoft for anyone who wants a clean install. You still need the 25 character key. You may need to go on a driver hunt.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...nload/windows7

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Wiggins View Post
    All that done, what is the likelihood that they could get in again without permission on her end?
    I have had many people comment to me that they had a pop-up like she did. So they clicked on it, or made the phone call.
    They ALL said they were amazed at what they saw on their monitors. These guys get remote access and have absolutely free reign on your computer.
    NONE of those people knew what the guy was doing.

Formating the hard drive and starting all over is the ONLY sensible fix. In some cases you must flash the BIOS.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Wiggins View Post
    All that done, what is the likelihood that they could get in again without permission on her end?
    That depends on whther this was really your mom's fault or if you were just blaming her to save yourself!!!

Seriously, while I cannot say that your restore point if trouble free, I would probably go ahead and run from there. Weigh this opinion in that I have a decent arsenal of virus, malware, etc. protection engines running. Give mom a stern talking to. Emphasize the fact that the most sophisticated security system that man can devise cannot protect against one boo-boo. Practice the basic habits:
    - Never open an email if you were not specifically expecting it.
    - Don't use the shortcuts that come in emails you were expecting; open a new tab and go to the site yourself.
    - Don't use social media of ANY KIND . . . except woodworking forums (sorry, that just slipped out because it is my own personal policy)
    - Keep your virus, malware, etc signatures up to date
    - Keep you OS and applications up to date
    - Have fun

I treat the internet like the Cocytus river leading to hell and I cannot actually remember the last time I had to rebuild one of my machines.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler