Thread: Yet another scrub plane

Yet another scrub plane

Hi All, I went on a plane making/modding binge over the weekend and made a dedicated scrubber to replace (well, add to) a cambered #5. I modded a 35 razee plane that was in good shape but seldom used. The iron is a piece of 1/8" X 1-1/4" O1 steel that I milled when soft then hardened and tempered.

The only thing that makes this plane something I haven't seen before was that I filed the yoke post to fit the little holes in the iron. By driving the center screw deeper into the frog, I can use the depth adjustment wheel without needing a chip breaker. The lever cap holds everything in place although I did glue a couple strips of rosewood on either side of the bedding surface to keep the iron centered.

FWIW, Skip

35 scrubber guts.jpg
    35 scrubber post.jpg
    35 mouth.JPG

Good for you...I need one of those, durn it!
    I was once a woodworker, I still am I'm just saying that I once was.

Chop your own wood, it will warm you twice. -Henry Ford

Oh my; what have you done to that mouth opening.

Stewie;

Blog Entries
    I make my #3 Bailey into a scrub plane by placing a 1 5/8" wide iron in it. I bought the undersized iron at the BORG. I sharpened the narrow iron with a radius instead straight. That narrow plane with the narrow iron in it makes an excellent scrub plane. The radius on the iron is pretty severe. The crown of the curve is 1/8" above the sides.

When I'm through scrubbing, I put the stock iron back in it and the plane is a normal #3 plane. It is one of my favorite planes. I use it more than I do my 604 Bedrock.

Lowell; why did you feel the need to change the blades width on your #3 when you could have applied a convex camber to match what your achieving with your narrower blade. It what projects below the sole that matters, not the blades width above the sole line.

regards Stewie;

Blog Entries
    Nice way to make something useful out of what you have around.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Stewie,

I agree, I was getting another iron for the plane so I would still have a full functioning #3 Plane.
    This plane was a school plane out of Canada that I bought. I soon realized that I preferred to use it in lieu of my 604. It is my favorite plane.
    It fits my hands, and makes really thin shavings.

The iron wasn't at cutting depth in the picture so the mouth isn't as pronounced as it appears. I've since filed it smooth. The strange shape is because there are two 3/8" veneer strips on either side of the iron to center it in an oversized bed. You can see the tips of those in the sole shot. They had to be thin enough not to interfere with the stock lever-cap. I didn't do anything in front of those which gives the mouth a pig-in-the-python look.

It works. The plane was good as-is but I have a couple go-to metal smoothers that get the bulk of the business. sh