Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bandsaw - Laguna or Grizzly or other?

Bandsaw - Laguna or Grizzly or other?

The major limiter in my decision making is price - I'm attempting to cap myself at $1500 plus shipping.

Saws that appear nice on paper/screen:
    Laguna 14BX220-250 @ $1499 (2.5hp, 115" blade)
    Grizzly G0513x2F @ $1295 (2hp, 110/220, 130" blade, 17" wheels)
    Grizzly G0514x2 @ $1675 (3hp, larger table, 220, geared table tilt) <-- I know this blows my budget but if this one is significantly better than the others, I'll do it.

Desires:
    - Decent resaw capacity. (dont know that I need 12" of it, but would not turn it down).
    - Stable platform, my current saw is on wheels (old craftsman).
    - Cast iron wheels
    - Cast iron trunions

Not a concern:

- Weight; temperature controlled garage, not concerned about weight.
    - 110/220 - I am fine with either.

Thoughts:
    The price jump between a 132" blade and a 143" is pretty significant.

Please guide me through this forest of decisions.

First, most places that weld their own blades (where you should be looking for bands) the price difference will be proportional to length so a foot difference won't change the price much, plus the longer blade will last proportionally longer as well, in the end money will even out.

Second, all of those are fine saws. My current recommendation for a $1500 budget for use as an all rounder is the 18" Rikon 10-342. Circle saw in Houston has the best Rikon prices I am aware of and costs about $1450 shipped with liftgate. Note you did not include shipping which for example on the 514 will run and extra ~150 if you need liftgate delivery. My opinion of the Rikon lower priced saws really changed when they upgraded the guides last year. In the end I like different things about each of the saws you mentioned but I think the Rikon is the best buy currently at $1500 and their warranty is 5 times longer than Laguna or Grizzly.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I am paying about the same for my bandsaw blades. I started with a Rikon 14 inch and now have a Minimax 18 inch BS. If I buy off the internet and buy 5 blades where I get free shipping actually my BS blades are cheaper.

Rikon did not even hit my radar, honestly. That does look like a nice saw. Table size could be larger but it does tick all the boxes.

All of these should work. Unless someone has or has different saws a lot he will probably recommend what he has in the shop, assuming he's not mad at it.

Almost all bandsaws will benefit from some tuning and some of the unfavorable comments you might see may be from those who don't.

I have a 110v 14" Delta with a riser block which worked well for me for years. When I added a 220v 18" Rikon I could use larger blades and had more power on a much sturdier frame/trunnion/table. I don't know how much it costs but for me it is perfect. I could cut the same things with the Delta but not as fast. I use my bandsaws for everything but primarily for processing large chunks of green wood for turning.

I get blades made locally with Lennox stock. They are pretty cheap and sometimes they can make them while I wait. I sharpen them myself two or three times so my favorite blades end up costing me as little as $5-$6 or so each compared to buying new blades when one gets dull.

You might add dust collection capability to your criteria. With one small mod I like the dust collection on the Rikon.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    My current recommendation for a $1500 budget for use as an all rounder is the 18" Rikon 10-342.
    I have one of these. I used to have a G0514, but sold it when I moved. I don't use a BS that much, so figured I could get by with a smaller/cheaper one. i thought the Grizzly was a more robust build, but am happy with the Rikon.
    HOWEVER... Rikon regularly has excellent sales and I would recommend waiting for one of those. IIRC, I got $250 off mine. At regular prices I would probably go for a Grizzly.

I noticed several changes from my 3 year old one. They apparently improve the fence and guide adjustments, BUT reduced the power from 2.5hp to 2hp.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Murray View Post
    Rikon did not even hit my radar, honestly. That does look like a nice saw. Table size could be larger but it does tick all the boxes.
    In the sub $2k range Grizzly, Laguna and Rikon are the big three in value.

If you look the Rikon has a stationary addition to the table which makes it larger than listed, it is steel but mimics the layout of most of the larger American cast iron saws.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    I have one of these. I used to have a G0514, but sold it when I moved. I don't use a BS that much, so figured I could get by with a smaller/cheaper one. i thought the Grizzly was a more robust build, but am happy with the Rikon.
    HOWEVER... Rikon regularly has excellent sales and I would recommend waiting for one of those. IIRC, I got $250 off mine. At regular prices I would probably go for a Grizzly.

I noticed several changes from my 3 year old one. They apparently improve the fence and guide adjustments, BUT reduced the power from 2.5hp to 2hp.
    Despite the fact they look similar the new Rikon is a lot different saw and they addressed most of the shortcomings of the older 18" saw, it is built a little heavier (between the 17 and 19" Grizzlys which is what you would expect for a similar 18" saw) has a much better fence and much better guides. You can wait for the sales but Circle Saw sells the Rikon bandsaws everyday for essentially what you get them for when they are on sale at places like Woodcraft.

Don't forget with a Grizzly catalog you get a 10% off coupon so that should make it closer to budget. I have the GO514x2 paid $700 delivered used and like it but don't have anything to compare. Only thing I did was upgrade the tires to the blue ones off eBay. Good luck.

-Rob

I upgraded from a half-century old Delta 14" to a Grizzly G0513X2 and couldn't be happier. I originally did not want to pay the extra from the smaller 14s, and was enamored with the foot brake on the other 17" model, but was able to get it at the Spring Tent Sale in Springfield, so... My experience so far is some limited resawing (the saw came with the higher fence which makes the task pain-free), mostly just curved cuts etc. which it does effortlessly. My CSU (Chief Spousal Unit) and I cut curved sections out of a couple of 2x12s for a decorative bridge and the saw didn't even breath hard. the 131 1/2" blades are not terribly expensive (although certainly more than the old 14" ones for the old Delta) Overall, I have nothing but praise for the saw.

Hey Dale,

I went through this exercise about 6 months ago. I ended up with a Laguna SUV. Its a 14" saw, but comes with a 3 HP motor and 13 plus inches of resaw capacity. As you said, I will likely not need that much resaw, but I like the extra power. I figured that I would enjoy the extra couple of hundred bucks the SUV cost over the next model down (The BX I believe, but dont hold me to that). I see you are considering the 3 HP Grizz. I dont know Grizzly, but many guys out here are big fans.

I can tell you the Laguna saw came quickly, the shipping was $75 with a lift gate delivery, and setup was a breeze. The fit and finish are outstanding. The only argument I have had with them has been that the upper 4" dust port doesn't hold onto the 4" adapter off my DC. I move the DC hose from machine to machine, and have a 4" quick connect fitting on the end of the flex hose. The port on the Laguna is just slightly too large for that fitting, but it does accept the 4" hose without an issue. Not a big deal.

I have recently resawn some 8/4 Purpleheart`. That stuff is hard! With the Resaw King blade on my Laguna I got a beautiful finish and it cut it effortlessly. Several times through to get 1/8" thick veneer. At no point did I feel the saw was overtaxed. Good stuff.

It sounds like you may be leaning towards the Grizzly - I have nothing to dissuade you. All I can say is that my experience with the Laguna has been very favorable. I have been really happy with the purchase. HTH.

JB

The Laguna LT14 SUV is also a good saw (but it is a generation behind the BX models and doesn't have as nice of a fence and power controls) and is on sale mow (as are all Laguna machines) at Rockler for 10% off so the SUV is just under $1700 shipped where the normal price is $1799 without shipping. All the Lagunas have what I think are the best guides for a bandsaw.

JB, I use a quick disconnect DC system also. When I got my Minimax 18 inch BS I noticed the quick disconnect would not work. I had to connect the hose directly. I wanted a better solution. So I bought, I think a SDR straight couple 4 inch fitting. I fitted it to my Minimax 4 inch DC shoot using weather stripping. I wound the weather stripping around the 4 inch DC shoot and pushed the SDR couple piece on. Now my 4 inch quick disconnect plugs into the SDR extension on the bandsaw.

Buy a used 16" o 18" Italian made saw. The older Lagunas, some new Lagunas, all the older Minimax, Agazznni, and Felders (may be a Bulgarian in there somewhere), or the older Bridgewoods.

Almost all these saws are bulletproof unless they come out of a commercial shop. Even then they should be good. I have a 1987 24" Minimax that I drug out of a barn. I de-rusted it, painted it, put a VFD on it and it is like a new saw. I paid $600 for it and $200 for a VFD. It was a great investment.

And don't worry about the difference in cost based on the blade length, it is negligible.

The Laguna SUV is just a bit more than I wanted to spend, honestly. It was in consideration.

I have been looking on Craigslist in the Chicago area for used saws, a few that meet my criteria in regard to size are either over priced (they want more than its worth) or are reasonably priced expensive machine (priced correctly for a saw that was originally $3-4k). If I can find one used I would definitely buy it.

What is VFD?