Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Woodpeckers drill press table..

Woodpeckers drill press table..

I purchasd one in a pinch today. I went to Woodcraft to gather the parts needed to make my own. After some himming and howing a very nice sales rep pointed out Woodpeckers had one fully made right over here. This sounded like the move as i realy have no interest nor the time to make one.

Well it was not the move. After drilling the thing out to fit my DP i get it all setup only to realise i can see daylight through the center of the fence were it registers with the table. I put a straight edge on it and its not even close to flat. The whole thing bows up at the edges.

Anyway i only mention this as i seem to remeber a recent post of someone else having the same problem. I would hate for others to have the same problem. When i was making my decision for a fleeting moment i did recollect the previous thread. I quickly disregard it in the name of saving some time. I also figured from time to time defects happen and wrote it off as a fluke.

I hate to try and return it as i am kinda friendly with my local woodcraft sales staff and i get a sense they dont much care for returns.

Crazy $134 later and i still gotta make my own. One for one woth Woodpeckers. I dont see myself ever buying any silly red aluminum form them after this.

It's hit or miss on the tables. The one on the Rockwell Delta fits/works just fine. I am not one who advocates buying much from Woodworkers as I think many of their items fall into the gimmick category. The best one I have seen is here, but patwarner dot com charges about $1285 for it.

Aluminum.jpg
    Last edited by Rich Riddle; 01-12-2017 at 8:23 PM.

Is it possible that tightening down the table to the DP table might have distorted the table a bit?

Nope checked that. Loosened it a bit and still the same. Took the woodpeckers table off and checked mt cast table. The table is flat.

It will get me by to bore out a bunch or euro hinges. Long term im gonna have to make a table. This is one shop proect i could give a rats rear end about...

Just a thought, but if you are reluctant to return it, how about shimming it in the middle and tightening it up again. Might just straighten it out.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Why not give the manufacturer a call? It is kinda convention here to give the manufacturer a chance to rectify the situation.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Ditto. I've had only one occasion to contact their customer service and their response was quick and absolutely satisfactory.

Their reputation is based largely on quality and accuracy. I'm sure they'd appreciate hearing about any problems.

I did think about shiming it. Problem is my table is 12x12 ish and the nature of the concavity is that the left and right most corners need to come down. I dont hsve enough spread between the screws into the base through my twble to get the leverage it would take.

I could call them. After the last thread on this though topic then a bit of online reading last night it seems my problem is not unique. Sometimes the headache of waiting for a replacments or a repairs is not worth it as sometimes you land in the same situation. I kinda just assume build something flat that i know will stay flat.

Seriously call them. They are quick to respond and always provide customer satisfaction.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Ok, ill call them......

You spent $134 on a drill press table you could have made yourself, and it is defective. You don't want to either return it or complain to Woodpecker. is that it?

The one time I dealt with Woodpecker service they were very cooperative. And who cares if Woodcraft likes to take returns. Do they like to stay in business?
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 01-13-2017 at 12:06 PM.

I recently placed a table on my drill press and I also lamented over making one or buying one, with the back log of projects I'm working on, I decided to buy a table. I ended up going with a Veritas work surface, I like it because it had the same hole size I use at the workbench for their various clamps, therefore I can utilize the same clamps at both work stations. I also purchased their aluminum fence, brackets and flip stop that work with this table, I thought the price was pretty good based on the workmanship and quality of the product.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/p...,43576&p=73498

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Why not give the manufacturer a call? It is kinda convention here to give the manufacturer a chance to rectify the situation.

Yes, this. Why do people fear the phone these days. Call them and I'm sure they will take care of you. I had an Incra fence problem and they simply priority mailed me a non-defective part as a replacement.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Patrick, I had a problem with one of their rules I bought. There took care of it immediately. They know they charge top buck and that their service needs to match the price. In my experience, it did.

Let us know how it goes.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

This is a common issue for Woodpecker drill press table. When I ordered mine years ago, the table was warped, returned, the second one was flat.

Actually, it is easy to build a drill press table, a good exercise. I would build one if I did not have one now

James