Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Veritas Tucker Vise??

Veritas Tucker Vise??

I was browsing my Instagram the other day and noticed a post in which someone had some stock clamped up using what looked like an old Pattern Maker's vise but the vise handle had Veritas on it. After some searching it would seem that Veritas did make this vise and it was called the Tucker Vise. So my question is WHY ON EARTH WOULD THEY STOP MAKING ONE OF THE BEST VISES ON THE PLANET????? This makes zero sense to me!!! And if anyone has a line on a used one I would be very interested in picking one of these up.

Seems it was out of their control:

"Due to supply and production issues, the Tucker Vise is no longer available. We still have a limited supply of the Extra Plate/Stanchion Set"

The Tucker vise was made of a die cast alloy which they claimed was stronger than cast iron. I wonder if that hurt their sales. Or,maybe it was just too expensive(I have forgotten the price,but not a low price).

Blog Entries
    They cited supply availability when they stopped making it. Highland Woodworking sells a Pattern Makers Vise that is very well made. I own one but haven't finished the bench on which it is being installed. Although it is made in Tiawan, it is well made and parts like the release lever seem well cast and of quality metal- not just the screw and chop. It's also very affordable. http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/p...rkingvise.aspx

This came up on another forum a year or so ago and quite a few people said they would buy one if available but Rob Lee chimed in and said the patterns for the castings had also been damaged and would need to be redone. So it is more complicated than just doing a short run to test the market again.
    Perhaps Rob will stop in and share his thoughts.
    Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ritter View Post
    This came up on another forum a year or so ago and quite a few people said they would buy one if available but Rob Lee chimed in and said the patterns for the castings had also been damaged and would need to be redone. So it is more complicated than just doing a short run to test the market again.
    Perhaps Rob will stop in and share his thoughts.
    Jim
    think he's going to be out of pocket for a bit.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 01-13-2017 at 1:29 PM. Reason: fixed quote

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins View Post
    think he's going to be out of pocket for a bit.
    Tony, have you heard that something has happened? What's behind your comment here? I've obviously missed something.
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Tony, have you heard that something has happened? What's behind your comment here? I've obviously missed something.
    Fred
    Had PM'd him with a question and he was just leaving to take a trip to the Southern Hemisphere and would be out of pocket for a while. Nothing beyond that, just a bit of vacation it seemed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins View Post
    Had PM'd him with a question and he was just leaving to take a trip to the Southern Hemisphere and would be out of pocket for a while. Nothing beyond that, just a bit of vacation it seemed.
    Same here. My guess for people in the retail business is the after holiday season becomes the best time to get out of the shop and take some time off.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

He's away on holiday to Australia and New Zealand.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

I saw an old "Turtle back" style of vise at the Cabin Fever Expo" the last few days. It was a smaller version of the usually larger Emmert(it WAS a real Emmert), much the same size as the Taiwan clones that are offered today. Not priced too high,either. But,My knee was hurting a lot,and I forgot my neurontin,and just didn't have the desire or the energy to lug it about. I didn't need it anyway,but,had I had a grocery cart I could have bought it. But only to sell to someone here to help them out. But sorry,I just wasn't up to it. I had to cut the trip a day short and return Saturday night as it was. Just couldn't walk any farther.

I never have seen a Tucker for sale,used. Probably not that many of them floating around anyway as they were only offered for a limited number of years.
    Last edited by george wilson; 01-15-2017 at 10:04 AM.

That's all very unfortunate. I personally still love my leg vise and use it everyday. It has gone from great with the pin holes to amazing thanks to Jim Ritter's chain leg vise hardware. If anyone is still battling the stupid pin on a traditional leg vise I can't recommend Jim's chain hardware high enough. It has been used on my bench for years and just works everyday!!

Having said that I still would love to pick up the Veritas Tucker Vise. I truly think the time is right to start producing this vise again. Handtool woodworking is incredibly popular and the Emmert patternmakers vise is highly sought after because of this. Benchcrafted is selling loads of their high quality vises therefore I would have to think that a high quality patternmakers vise would be just as popular.

I'm really glad the chain is working well for you Tony. Thanks for the endorsement.
    Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

Thanks for the link, Malcolm.

Btw, I had a chance to try one of the LV vises before Japan Woodworker closed in Alameda.
    It's a nicely machined, smooth turning beast of a vise.

Hi,

We'd have to redo the tooling, which would run in excess of $250,000. This would put the price at $1000 or more per vise, and we'd still have to sell at least several hundred to break even.

We've reviewed the decision a few times now, and will keep looking at it as we develope new suppliers....

But at the moment, no plans....

Cheers,

Rob
    ( At Brisbane airport....)