Thread: printable template for a shoe type push stick

printable template for a shoe type push stick

I'm trying to find a printable template for a shoe type TS push stick. I am artistically challenged and seem to be unable to draw one that I like.
    I have been searching the web, but no luck so far. I found an old thread here that mentions several, but the links are all broken.
    Does anyone have a printable template for a simple shoe type push stick that they would share? By shoe type, I mean the type that puts downward pressure on the stock. I have made a couple of notched type, but don't really like them. Most of the ones I've found on the web, if a personal website or blog, the site listed has been hacked and the link gets redirected to the PITA "Teds Woodworking" crapola. Thanks for any help.

Chuck

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    Have you tried a Google Images search? Loading the 'noncopyrighted', I don't want to go to jail for suggesting otherwise ;-), images in a program like MS Paint and resizing should give you a printable template.

Blog Entries
    Sketchup is your friend.

Push stick.JPG
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by John Lankers View Post
    Have you tried a Google Images search? Loading the 'noncopyrighted', I don't want to go to jail for suggesting otherwise ;-), images in a program like MS Paint and resizing should give you a printable template.
    Yes, John, as I said in the original post, internet searches so far have been unsuccessful. For some reason, I can't get MS Paint to enlarge the few drawings I have tried.

Thanks, Glen. I have printed that one out and will cut it out and try it.

Chuck

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    Chuck, in Paint select 'Resize' from the top toolbar (or is it called menubar?) to adjust the image size in % . Some images can get blurry when you expand them from a thumbnail but that shouldn't be a big deal for a template print.
    I totally agree with you on this "Ted's Woodworking" crap, PITA is an understatement.

Blog Entries
    Not a template, but I used the heck out of this one today: With a little imagination and a photo editing program, or a copier with zoom capability, you could make a template. A straight on shot would have been better.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    NOW you tell me...

John Heisz of IBuildIt.ca has a downloadable template for his push stick:
    http://www.ibuildit.ca/Workshop%20Pr...tricks-22.html
    ~Garth

Google table saw push stick there's lots to choose from.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Pickering View Post
    For some reason, I can't get MS Paint to enlarge the few drawings I have tried.
    If you have Windows 7 or 10 (maybe 8 I don't know) use the "snipping tool" to marqee the image. Use the copy button in the snipping tool and paste the image into Word. You can easily stretch or shrink it from there.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    If you have Windows 7 or 10 (maybe 8 I don't know) use the "snipping tool" to marqee the image. Use the copy button in the snipping tool and paste the image into Word. You can easily stretch or shrink it from there.
    Though I was a computer support tech for almost 20 years, I don't know 'snip'. But I did copy a likely plan into word and stretched it. That gave me a template that would fit my hand. Thanks, Glen. I would have never thought of that method!
    I printed the results and will cut it out tomorrow.

Chuck

I just took my hand saw and traced the handle on a piece of wood and cut.

My only comment about the designs so far is that the handle is too low, putting your hand too close to the blade. I have similar push sticks, but have moved the handle a few inches higher above the stock pushing end, but the general shape is the same. My favorite is the one in post #7. For mine, I traced the handle of one of mu hand saws and then added the stock pushing/hold down shape to it, then cut it out and rounded the handle part using my router table. It's made from 3/4 Baltic Birch, but most any good plywood would work.

I'm now converted to using Grrippers most of the time, because I'm now convinced that they are better for most stock pushing / hold down needs, but it took me a while to accept them. 60+ years ago I was taught the 6 inch rule. "If your hand will ever pass within 6" of the blade or cutting bit, stop and find another way to do it". This simple rule has kept me safe all these years, but I had to modify it a bit because of the Grripper design where the handle is less than 6" above the blade, but protected by a guard. That 6" rule was so imbedded in my brain that I couldn't readily bring myself to passing my hand less than 6 inches above the blade, even when holding onto a Grripper for over a year, but I now prefer them over most push stick uses.

Charley

Here is a cool one..... go to there site and you can down load the free plan.

http://www.bigfootproducts.ca/
    Last edited by richard poitras; 01-14-2017 at 7:15 PM.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Quote Originally Posted by richard poitras View Post
    Here is a cool one..... go to there site and you can down load the free plan.

http://www.bigfootproducts.ca/
    Thanks, Richard. Added to the collection. Still looking for just a plain one...

Chuck