Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Avoiding tearout when chamfering edges

one more vote for a plane with cap iron. I usually use a small smoother and put the cap iron really close if the grain does not behave well.

Blog Entries
    The chamfer plane makes life easy. You can mark out and plane chamfers to the marks, and for large chamfers that is not a bad plan, but for many small chamfers the chamfer plane is the easiest method (in my opinion). I like to use chamfers extensively in my work, going to certain extremes to avoid stopped chamfers.

Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Well, I went ahead with a heretical solution for this project, and used a router with a chamfering bit. My RadiPlane had done some tearing out, so I made all the chamfers a little deeper with the router.

But for future, I will go and order the Lee Valley japanese plane, which they say has a cap iron. If it works I'll keep it, and if not, will send it back.

Blog Entries
    A router!

They do say it has a chip breaker, so I'm curious about that plane. If you would post up your thoughts when you receive it.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    A card scraper can break the edge and create a chamfer of course, but, it's not going to provide a consistent chamfer along the edges of the piece like a tool designed to create chamfers.
    Depends on the driver. I know people (not me) who can create very consistent chamfers with just a scraper.

To be clear, what I was suggesting here was to use the scraper to clean up the problem areas after roughing in the chamfer with something else. They're pretty easy to use for that IMO.

Sorry about the double-reply, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    A card scraper can break the edge and create a chamfer of course, but, it's not going to provide a consistent chamfer along the edges of the piece like a tool designed to create chamfers. That's the idea for the Radiplane. A small block plane fitted with a guide to reference off the surface and create the chamfers would work as would a tricked up spokeshave.
    The Radi-Plane is simply a bevel-down chamfer/radius plane, with about a 45 deg cutting angle IIRC. In principle it should work fairly well. Not as well as something with a cap-iron, but not horribly either, except...

The reason I say "in principle" is because a lot of the Radi-Plane clones on the market these days including the Woodstock and Rockler models share a common liability: Carbide-tipped blades. Carbide offers terrific edge life, but it's extremely difficult (and more like impossible if it isn't top of the line micro-grain carbide) to bring it to a truly sharp edge. If I had to bet I'd guess that the OP is having so much trouble because he's working with a not-optimally-sharp blade.