Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Returning a recessed bowl?

I ground a small scraper like Leo uses and it works great.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McClurg View Post
    I ground a small scraper like Leo uses and it works great.
    Thanks Greg, yes because of the angle you get well away from the tailstock and are able to return the recess
    Have fun and take care

1. It helps if you left a dimple in the recess in the bottom to align with the tailstock live center.
    2. The tailstock can get in the way. Sometimes you can work from the backside of the lathe. But if that doesn't work....
    3. I took a chunk of file (high carbon steel), took out the hardness, reshaped it, and rehardened it. I screw it onto the end of a 1/2" square shank and it allows me to position it at about a 45 degree angle and recut the recess. The geometry allow me to recut the recess without the tailstock being an issue. I have also seen a scraper reshaped to do the same thing.
    4. For a one time tool, you can make out of any steel. Shape it, sharpen it, and use it. When you're done, it'll be ready for resharpening. But that will take 60 seconds or less...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Newton View Post
    My thought was that I couldn't get a good dovetail with the tail stock in the way. I'll give it a try and see though.