Thread: Remote Switch Problems?

Remote Switch Problems?

I was wondering if anyone has problems with these remote switches that we use with dust collectors. I purchased one probably 5 years ago and have used it on my collector. A couple years ago the remote failed and I purchased a new one. Today either the remote or the switch itself has failed. I installed a new battery in the remote but that did not help. The dust collector runs fine if I bypass the remote switch/outlet. Just curious if anyone one else has problems with remote switch setups.

Hi julian,

I always hear of problems with remotes for dust collectors. I don't know if you are talking about a 110, or 220. I hear of problems with 220 ones. I thinks that is why a lot of people make their own utilizing 220 contactor relays activated by a 110 remote control. If your system is 220, you can make a 220 remote control switch utilizing a 220 contactor, and any 110 remote control. Search the forum for remote controls for more information.

Sam

IMG_1676.jpg
    IMG_1675.jpg

Sam, thanks for your good info. My dust collector is 110v and I have been operating it with the remote switch that Rockler sells. I'll do a search and get some ideals for something a little more robust. Again thanks!

I am using this http://www.homedepot.com/p/Home-Acce...17-3/202353566 for my Delta 50-760 dust collector for the past 2 months with no problems.
    Mike

I've had two of the remote switches fail for me. The first was the original Oneida, and I don't remember the second brand. They seem to have about a 5 year life span. I currently use the 220V Woodriver remote from Woodcraft, and it seems to be working fine.

Ok, I'm a dummy. Was checking over the remote switch this afternoon and noticed a red power indicator light was not lit. Yep, checked the breaker and it was tripped. A reminder to check the simple things first when you have mechanical problems. I jumped to the conclusion that the remote had failed since I had that problem once before. I've be plugging and unplugging the dust collector on an extension cord for 2 days not realizing the breaker was tripped. Oh well, lesson learned.
    Last edited by julian abram; 01-16-2017 at 8:38 PM.