Thread: Move 1.5hp DC to new area or keep close to machines (b/c of airflow)

Move 1.5hp DC to new area or keep close to machines (b/c of airflow)

As part of my shop upfit I'm planning to move my DC (Delta 1.5hp) to an adjacent room to my wood shop to reduce the noise. I also planned to install a Super Dust Deputy cyclone and Wynn filter. Planning to use 6" metal duct and reduce as needed at machines. I'd estimate the main line would be ~25' before it split for the machines (Each around 15' from the trunk line).
    My question is around the loss of airflow over the distance. Currently I have only 6" flex hose about 8' long going to my machines - and only a couple connected (with blast gates).

Would the general recommendation be to be to leave it as is until I can upgrade to a larger DC (more hp) or worth the move, upgrades to my D.C., and ductwork now? I'd expect the ductwork would be good for a future upgraded DC but that may be a while and I don't want to move it now, invest in the ductwork, and then discover I have insufficient airflow.
    Last edited by Matt Putnam; 01-13-2017 at 10:44 PM.

There are people who use ductwork with similar DC. However, you are talking about 40 feet of duct work and IMHO probably too long.

If you do put in ductwork, you have to decide what size. I had a Jet Vortex with 4" PVC and a duct run of about 15 feet and it worked just OK. I think that if you put in 6 inch pipe the velocity in the duct will be too slow. Would it work..yes. But the performance marginal.

I now have a much larger cyclone with 6 inch duct and of course really good flow.

Matt, I have the same setup as you are aiming for and the 6 inch duct I use is about 15ft total with only one machine connected and a couple of large radius 90 deg bends. Flow is fine for my purpose but, as Larry indicates, I wouldn't want to go to 40 foot with this setup. Its fairly easy to calculate the total loss you'll encounter from duct etc by using Bill Pentz' spreadsheet from his website

I would also be concerned with distance and air flow from that particular level of machine. The SSD will also reduce airflow, so the combination of long duct and the performance hit from the small cyclone will be noticeable. These smaller units are best used close to the machine with limited hose for best efficiency.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...