Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: So 40 years in, I finally know how to sharpen my tools.

It been 45years for me. First there was the grey silicon carbide, with a light touch,you sharpened in the slurry. then the brown India, next came the white Arkansas , now the yellow Imanishi.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    I think some of you members need a good dose of reality into what was being achieved by those craftsmen of days gone by. No fancy pants metal planes emblazoned with the LN or LV logo were being used, nor were they using exotic steel alloys within their blades, nor were they using high tech ceramic sharpening stones. And guess what, they were more than likely achieving better results within their woodwork than most of you could even dream of.
    "Most of you" is the key, but I couldn't agree more. Paul Sellers is an excellent example and proponent of this reality. I'm a huge fan. You don't need a fancy shop or expensive tools to do beautiful work. But it's also clear that modern technology is upping the game for many serious woodworkers.
    Dave, my apologies for being so forthright, but if its has taken you 40yrs within your craft to finally learn how to achieve a sharp edge on your tools, it wasn't the fault of sharpening stones you were using.
    Hey, hey, hey there- I've created many sharp edges in my day! As I said, I've gotten by rather nicely over the years. Many a co-worker has marveled at my sharp chisels. OK, usually because they had no clue how to sharpen theirs.

For me, this is not about finally being able to create a sharp edge, I've been doing that for a long time. This is about beginning the process of mastering that craft which includes acquiring the proper tools (my favorite thing). Very different.

HOWEVER- no apology is ever necessary with me. I love a well placed smack upside the head if there is something to be learned from it. And there is ALWAYS something to be learned during any exchange of knowledge and ideas. It's why I'm here.

I like the picture you posted. I am marveling at the perfect curls I'm getting after my time spent sharpening today. It's extremely encouraging.

There should be a market for perfect curls.

Blog Entries
    The only one to my knowledge is with young kids in arts & crafts class. They glue them to paper bags (for hair) and make paper bag puppets.

Good project for rainy days.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by William Fretwell View Post
    Most of wood work is presenting a sharp edge to wood.
    That is the simple truth.

We always remember the first time we put plane to wood and produced shavings. Forever indelibly imprinted in our memory, the curlies were perfect and the resulting wood surface was sublime. It was never as good again, and we spend our days searching for Nirvana once more.

Working with wood is a hard enough habit to kick, but paring joinery with a sharp chisel engulfs us once more. There is no cure to this addiction. A sharp edge is so "precious" ...

Regards from Perth

Derek (I can stop anytime)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    "Most of you" is the key, but I couldn't agree more. Paul Sellers is an excellent example and proponent of this reality. I'm a huge fan. You don't need a fancy shop or expensive tools to do beautiful work. But it's also clear that modern technology is upping the game for many serious woodworkers.

Hey, hey, hey there- I've created many sharp edges in my day! As I said, I've gotten by rather nicely over the years. Many a co-worker has marveled at my sharp chisels. OK, usually because they had no clue how to sharpen theirs.

For me, this is not about finally being able to create a sharp edge, I've been doing that for a long time. This is about beginning the process of mastering that craft which includes acquiring the proper tools (my favorite thing). Very different.

HOWEVER- no apology is ever necessary with me. I love a well placed smack upside the head if there is something to be learned from it. And there is ALWAYS something to be learned during any exchange of knowledge and ideas. It's why I'm here.

I like the picture you posted. I am marveling at the perfect curls I'm getting after my time spent sharpening today. It's extremely encouraging.

Appreciate the clarification Dave.

regards Stewie;

Blog Entries
    I think some of you members need a good dose of reality into what was being achieved by those craftsmen of days gone by. No fancy pants metal planes emblazoned with the LN or LV logo were being used, nor were they using exotic steel alloys within their blades, nor were they using high tech ceramic sharpening stones. And guess what, they were more than likely achieving better results within their woodwork than most of you could even dream of.

Dave, my apologies for being so forthright, but if its has taken you 40yrs within your craft to finally learn how to achieve a sharp edge on your tools, it wasn't the fault of sharpening stones you were using.

Stewie;
    It has been said many times the wood doesn't care what plane or metal in the blade is being used. The person using the finished piece will not be able to discern what tools were used.

Most likely in the past just like today, everyone who owns or owned a plane or chisel, no matter how "fancy pants" their tools might have been for the time was not a master of their tools.

For every master craftsman's piece of furniture we see today there were likely hundreds of pieces that weren't of heirloom quality and were either tossed on the trash heap or burned for heat when they became a bit on the rickety side.

All but one of my bench planes are "fancy pants" old beat up Stanley/Bailey planes that have been cleaned up and made usable. I do have a lot of wooden molding planes. The wooden planes are very nice to use. As for smoothers, jointers, jacks and tri-planes at least a hundred metal planes cross my path for each wood bodied plane that shows up. Most of the wooden bodied planes have problems that are not easy to repair. So for me it is either going "fancy pants" metal or nothing.

The OP posted about his water stone epiphany. Isn't that more a moment for celebration of new learning instead of an off the mark criticism of their past?

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 01-15-2017 at 11:47 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

All but one of my bench planes are "fancy pants" old beat up Stanley/Bailey planes that have been cleaned up and made usable.
    Jim; check my post. I made no mention of Stanley/Bailey planes.

regards Stewie;

Just a reality check ...

I have no issue with fancy-schmancy, oldie-but-goodie, down-and-dirty, or came-down-with-the-ark .... what is important is what you produce with them, and does this bring you pleasure? Tools are just tools, and fancy or imperfect is all the same when they are poorly sharpened.

I'd suggest that the next person who pours cold water on the joy of another should be requested to post pictures of their work with handtools to determine their level of expertise.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    It kinda seems like I need something between the 320 and the 1500.
    If you want to stay with Shapton then the 1000 is a great stone. It arguably "made" their reputation in the US.

IMO the 500 Shapton glass stones are not cost-effective, because they dish fast, they're very thin (5 or 10 mm) and they're very expensive. You end up paying through the nose for a stone that just doesn't last (speaking from experience here). Most coarse stones are similarly soft and dishing-prone, and we can discuss why that must be the case if you want, but other brands give you a LOT more stone to start with such that it doesn't matter as much.

The Shapton 320 is also sort of an odd duck. It's pretty hard for such a coarse stone (very much the opposite of the glass 500s in that respect), which means that it doesn't dish very quickly but it also cuts slowly when confronted with tougher steels. It's fine on HCS though.

In my experience Shaptons are strongest in the mid grits (1K-5K), where they offer a nice combination of speed and dish resistance.
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 01-14-2017 at 10:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by William Fretwell View Post
    Most of wood work is presenting a sharp edge to wood. The sharper the edge the more polished the wood. Get the right shape behind the edge and the edge is stronger. Diamond plates to flatten your stones YES!
    Bought a custom knife in Elmax with proper heat treatment recently just to see how it is. The maker leaves you to do the final finish on the edge. By the time I finished I had re-defined sharp in my head, what a steel! The smallest touch cuts. I should add it's very tough, it took a while.
    So how much steel do we get through in our lives in all our tools; 1", 2",3"....6"?

Stewie;
    Stewie,

What exactly was the purpose of your post? What did you think such an arrogant diatribe accomplishes? It certainly doesn't make you appear more knowledgeable. Or helpful. It certainly doesn't foster civility when someone was simply expressing an "Ah Ha" or eureka moment in what was likely meant as a bit tongue and cheek. I enjoyed the Op. I simply do not understand the motivation behind such a rude post. Just saying that you are just being direct does not make it less rude. It can have a chilling effect on those who might want to post smething fun or interesting, but are more timid than some of us and are afraid to be shut down by some of the more domineering members of the forum.
    No, the sky is not falling - just chunks of it are.

Allen; I have listened intently to the high volume of recommendations from forum members suggesting the need to purchase the latest LN or LV tool to improve your woodwork.

I have listened intently to the high volume of recommendations from forum members suggesting you need to fit the latest exotic alloy blade to your hand plane to improve your woodwork.

I have listened intently to the high volume of recommendations from forum members suggesting the need to switch to ceramic stones to make it easier to sharpen you blades.

And I will continue to forward my own recommendations that there is little need to make to make those changes.

I have said my piece, and will make no further comment on this thread.

regards Stewie;

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    If you want to stay with Shapton then the 1000 is a great stone. It arguably "made" their reputation in the US.

IMO the 500 Shapton glass stones are not cost-effective, because they dish fast, they're very thin (5 or 10 mm) and they're very expensive. You end up paying through the nose for a stone that just doesn't last (speaking from experience here). Most coarse stones are similarly soft and dishing-prone, and we can discuss why that must be the case if you want, but other brands give you a LOT more stone to start with such that it doesn't matter as much.

The Shapton 320 is also sort of an odd duck. It's pretty hard for such a coarse stone (very much the opposite of the glass 500s in that respect), which means that it doesn't dish very quickly but it also cuts slowly when confronted with tougher steels. It's fine on HCS though.

In my experience Shaptons are strongest in the mid grits (1K-5K), where they offer a nice combination of speed and dish resistance.
    Patrick, curious what are your thoughts on the 1k Shapton vs 1k Chosera? I use the 1k cho and enjoy the feeling of the stone but find it dishes quickly.

At Kez this year a lot if guys were using the Shapton 5k, I think a laminated iron really helps that stone to perform. I am also considering that to replace my cho 3k.

I have the Snow White 8k and I like that stone, stays flat enough that I can leap to naturals without issue.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Stewie-
    Well that would be a shame. I am enjoying this thread I started. I appreciate the support from others as I begin this process and at the same time I like the reality check you provide. It's not like I'm breaking new ground here. I'm at the end of a long line of modern woodworkers who have gotten religion regarding sharpening. Big woop. But it's fun for me and more than that it ups my game as I still do this professionally.
    Love your avatar and I'd be happy to sit across the camp fire sharpening spears anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Patrick, curious what are your thoughts on the 1k Shapton vs 1k Chosera? I use the 1k cho and enjoy the feeling of the stone but find it dishes quickly.

At Kez this year a lot if guys were using the Shapton 5k, I think a laminated iron really helps that stone to perform. I am also considering that to replace my cho 3k.

I have the Snow White 8k and I like that stone, stays flat enough that I can leap to naturals without issue.
    Oh crap. I'm already losing my innocence. You people are dragging me down into your decadence.

I used to be a virgin....