Thread: Another Workbench Thread.....Kinda

Another Workbench Thread.....Kinda

MsBubba had a pug mill shipped in a couple of days ago. That sucker is heavy, just under 300 lbs and she wants a table to set in on. As I ran through the options I decided this would be a great chance to prototype a small travel workbench. I wanted something quick to build because I can hear a tapping foot and the "where is my table, the pug mill was delivered yesterday" vibe from 50 feet.

I decided to do a face glue up of the slab and the legs but make everything where no cutting or chopping of joinery is needed. Also because of its intended use I didn't prep any of the 2X4s. The slab cutting and glue up took just under 2 hours. I expect the leg and stretcher cutting and glue up will be about the same.

Bottom line unless there is a major hiccup I should have MsBubba smiling and playing with her new pug mill before the weekend is over.

If the table works as expected when I build the workbench version, I will use better wood and do correct prep of the timber but use the same quick and dirty joinery.

Here is the slab glue up, I'm waiting for about 45 minutes before knocking out the leg mortise plugs.

ken

Blog Entries
    I had to google "pug mill" and I'm happy to learn that you're not grinding ugly little dogs into ground meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    I had to google "pug mill" and I'm happy to learn that you're not grinding ugly little dogs into ground meat.
    spit my drink all over when I read that one.

Hey Ken! "I told you I'd do it for you. You don't need to remind me every six months."
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Mmmm, pug sausage ahhhgggg :drool:

Malcolm,

Loved it, this sucker is big enough to make sausage out of GSDs or Pugs by the dozen.

ken

Hi Ken,

Didn't you write about a portable bench for camping a few years ago? Is this kind of like a prototype for that, or will your portable bench be bigger, narrower?

I have thought about a portable bench on and off for a long time. What I am thinking about for a portable bench, would be for carpentry in the long run, and also for woodworking until I build a true woodworking bench. So mine would be built to be relatively light, but strong, something that can be easily hauled around.

At any rate, keep us informed, and when you build your portable bench be sure to post it. As you know, there are a lot of us who love seeing different workbenches go together. Lots of us will be interested in how it turns out, and if it is something we might be interested in building.

Glad to see you up and around and building stuff again.

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 01-14-2017 at 3:19 PM.