Thread: Rockford #8 Jointer Plane

Rockford #8 Jointer Plane

Picked up a Rockford Lakeside #8 Jointer plane a while back. Had a bit of time recently between other projects and got it all sorted out. Then, I had to rearrange my plane till to accommodate it. More of a pain than I had thought. Ended up having to move every single item in the whole till.

The Till needed rearranged and cleaned anyway, and I am still modifying it. (Also rearranging the shop)

Still, makes a sweet jointer! I'm still adding coats of shellac to the knob and tote, but aside from that she's all done. Planed a piece of hard maple with lots of grain direction changes smooth as silk.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Making furniture teaches us new ways to remove splinters.

That thing is a monster! Looks like it cleaned up nicely and will make a great addition to the till. Nice!
    Not all chemicals are bad. Without hydrogen or oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.

Blog Entries
    How long is it?

My 607 is a monster. I seldom use it. I have a 5 1/2 Bailey I use a lot. It is almost as long as a no 6.

I have an old #6 that never gets used. I don't know why I have it. It is a post war model.

Blog Entries
    Looks good to go Matt.

Do the pieces in your plane till slide in a slot to adjust to the plane size?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

You'll either feel like a successful weightlifter or a 98-pound weakling after an afternoon of using that critter. I love mine, but I sure have to eat my Wheaties in the morning before it use it!

Blog Entries
    I was curious about Rockford planes. That is the house name for Montgomery Wards back in the day. Are there any "Monkey Wards" stores left?

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I was curious about Rockford planes. That is the house name for Montgomery Wards back in the day. Are there any "Monkey Wards" stores left?
    Nope. They went under about Y2k; used to shop at them a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    How long is it?

My 607 is a monster. I seldom use it. I have a 5 1/2 Bailey I use a lot. It is almost as long as a no 6.

I have an old #6 that never gets used. I don't know why I have it. It is a post war model.
    24" long, but a lot wider than I thought it would be, 3 1/8 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Looks good to go Matt.

Do the pieces in your plane till slide in a slot to adjust to the plane size?

jtk
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Houghton View Post
    You'll either feel like a successful weightlifter or a 98-pound weakling after an afternoon of using that critter. I love mine, but I sure have to eat my Wheaties in the morning before it use it!
    Hey, us wiry folk can still use the heavy stuff. I typically only weigh between 125-135 depending on the season.

I use my 6 and 7 mostly anyhow, so this isn't that much different. I'll likely use it quite a bit. Table tops, Panel glueups and benchtops. The bigger the plane, the better as far as I am concerned when doing those. I really want to get a infill jointer eventually. I like the heavy planes.
    Making furniture teaches us new ways to remove splinters.