Thread: Bringing the Shop Into the House

Bringing the Shop Into the House

Last week we got hit with a cold spell and some bitter cold weather. I was in the final stages of building a nightstand for my father-in-law and decided to do the finishing work in the house. I heat my shop with space heaters and I don't like using these for extended periods when the temps are near zero. I assembled the sides, did a dry fit of the entire piece and then finished all of the parts before the final glue-up. To pass the time between coats of finish, I took a shot at carving a spoon. This was my second attempt at this. I used a piece of green cherry on my first attempt and was moving along very nicely, until in an over enthusiastic attempt to make the spoon light and thin, I whittled a hole right smack dab in the middle of the bowl. On that first attempt I even hacked out the handle with an ax. On attempt number two I was less ambitious. I roughed out the shape on the bandsaw and then carved from there. I used an old piece of maple, a cut-off from my workbench build. I wouldn't recommend hand carving dry maple to anyone. The spoon turned out a bit on the primitive side. If my knife was sharper, I think I could shave off more of the facets, but in the end I decided to settle on the primitive look. I think my next attempt will be on another piece of green or semi-green cherry.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Some people like the primitive look. They just don't seem to like paying for a 'handmade' spoon.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Good results Joe....Your spouse was probably not happy with you..
    Jerry

Welll since the night stand was for her father she was able to overlook or tolerate the temporary card tables in the dining room for the week. The carving is quiet and the shavings while messy are large enough that they clean up easily.

Why wouldn't you just tell everyone that the first spoon you made is a beautiful slotted spoon