Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should a buy a Delta Bandsaw model # 28-203 for $300

Should a buy a Delta Bandsaw model # 28-203 for $300

I am planning on buying my first bandsaw and someone is selling a 20yr old original owner Delta 28-203 bandsaw for $300. It looks like is in good shape and has new tires , cool blocks, fence and 2-3 extra Olson blades. The label states made in the USA. The plate on the motor states 3/4 HP made by Marathon electric made in the USA. Is it worth it?

Based on your description that is a very fair price for a quality American made bandsaw. Buy it...

Good price for a solid saw, especially if it has the fence. The only thing I would point out is with that motor (which you could change later) you will not want to do a lot of resawing.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

It seems like a decent price for a saw which has a fantastic parts availability should you ever need them.

If it is 20yrs old, is this considered a year that their tools were better quality. It may sound like a dumb question but even made in America labels are very deceptive these days. Just wondering when delta went down hill?
    Last edited by Rick Pinzon; 01-14-2017 at 9:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    It seems like a decent price for a saw which has a fantastic parts availability should you ever need them.
    Not from Delta! That situation has changed much for the worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Pinzon View Post
    If it is 20yrs old, is this considered a year that their tools were better quality. It may souls like a dumb question but even made in America labels are very deceptive these days. Just wondering when delta went down hill?
    It is not a dumb question BUT with the cast 14" bandsaw it is not a simple point where the quality went off a cliff. The 14" cast saw when you take into account every thing from the quality of the castings to the feature set actually went up and down and sidewise depending on the year and model over the near 80 years they made them. My favorites are the very early 890s from the 1930s and the very last US made ones in the X5 series (28-475X). The 28-203 is as good or better than any of the Asian 14" cast saws made today but it will not have some of the features people like (like quick release tension and bearing guides) but many of those "features" I actually consider inferior to what they replaced. The 28-203 actually varied in quality over its production life but they are all solid saws. The only drawback to this one is the 3/4hp motor which is fine for contour cutting but weak if you want to do much resawing. Delta no longer makes a cast iron 14" saw
    so you can't compare them to a current Delta model but the 28-203 is a very good specimen of the venerable 14" cast saw. There are literally tons of aftermarket parts and "upgrades" for these saws. Bottom line if you want a 14" cast iron saw this is a solid one and if it is in good condition you can buy with confidence.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    Not from Delta! That situation has changed much for the worse.
    We all know Delta's parts woes but there is practically nothing on this saw that can't be easily replaced or upgraded through a number of parts source. You might have trouble if you need a major casting and the OEM fences are rather rare but outside of that they have the greatest aftermarket parts availability of any non current production saw.

Yup!!!! I have this saw. It is a real good price ,run don't walk,Buy it.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Yup!!!! I have this saw. It is a real good price ,run don't walk,Buy it.
    I have a similar Delta (model 28-245). I think paid $390 about two years ago. It came with a bigger motor (1-1/2 hp), aftermarket tension springs, a fence, a miter gauge, and a riser block. I cracked the table trunnions when moving it. After a little confusion over the part number, I bought new ones from Delta. The guy at Delta Power Equipment parts suggested that I use some heavier duty trunnions. They had the stock ones and some heavier duty ones (I think he said they were for a drill press but would fit).

The only other problem was the tracking arm on the upper wheel support assembly that I destroyed trying to get enough tension on a 3/4" wide blade. I found a replacement for that from The Saw Center. I forget which saw currently has a compatible part, but I think it was Rikon. Anyway the part is readily available.

Bottom line... I think it is a very nice saw and the parts you are likely to need are easy enough to find. I consider it a good deal for $300 and would happily pay that if I were in the market for one. I would stick with narrower blades than 3/4" ones even for re-sawing. I figure it is wise to stick with 1/2" or less (5/8" at the most). I had been using a Timberwolf 3/4" (0.022" thick) that is supposed to run well on it, but have decided to stick with narrower in the future after I wrecked the tracking adjustment arm. Despite supposedly being a low tension blade proper tension for the 3/4" was a bit much for the saw. I find the 1/2" blades to work just fine.

If you plan to do much re-sawing the 1/2 hp motor is likely to be a bit under-powered and you will likely to want to replace it at some point. If you do I recommend going 1-1/2 hp or larger.

Thank you all. We have agreed on $225 so I will be picking up today.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Pinzon View Post
    Thank you all. We have agreed on $225 so I will be picking up today.

Now it will be time for blades:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...bandsaw-blades!

Thank you Van

Wow. I just clicked the link. It looks like a small novel. I'm sure it has plenty of good details that will be useful. Thanks again

Congratulations! That is a good price from what I have seen.