Thread: What's your favorite source of Podcasts?

What's your favorite source of Podcasts?

I swear I remember a similar thread within the last year, but didn't find it searching the archive. So I'll ask again - what sources do you like - sites that I can go to listen to a variety of topics?

The backstory....... I've never had an interest in podcasts until the other day, when I got bored and just had to listen to something. I remembered people talking about NPR and TED.com. So I listened to a couple from each. I was immediately drawn in. So now, I'm probably going to spend way too much time doing that. (It beats TV, I suppose.) Maybe I can listen to them in the shop (when I'm not using a machine).

Your ideas would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

"Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I listen to quite a few podcasts in the car on the way to and from work. They're just things I've happened upon and enjoyed, there isn't really a source for them. Pick a topic you're interested in, Google "<topic> podcast" and see what comes up.

I listen on Stitcher. They have just about anything and everything. Itunes is an option but I dont use Itunes much. Agreed on TED. One of my favorites. Science Friday is another. MakerCast can interesting at times. Too many good ones to list.

Blog Entries
    Science Friday
    Moth Radio Hour
    Snap Judgement
    This American Life
    Ted Talks
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

I have never listened to a podcast......some of use old timers just don't stay up with modern times.

99% Invisible
    The Tech Guy
    Security Now
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

I don't listen to them, but Professor Dr. SWMBO does pretty much daily...and most are derived from NPR.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Thank you Dave. I knew I remembered one. No idea why it didnt come up when I searched. DOH!

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Thanks guys! There's lots of good things in your list and I'll be sure to sample them all.

However, I AM a little concerned about the TED talks. I had to make myself stop watching those this afternoon - I think I could binge my way through their whole archive and get nothing else done for weeks!

Fred

I use an app called "tune in". It's free, and not only does it have access to a ridiculous number of podcasts(thousands), it also tunes in radio stations. I use it to stream my local am station talk radio, which does not come in on antenna due to the metal walls of my building. http://tunein.com/ Depending on what your interests are, I HIGHLY recommend the podcast "stuff you should know"(available on tunein). It is very informative, covers a seemingly endless number of topics, and is an hour long! http://www.stuffyoushouldknow.com/podcasts
    --

Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.

Ted radio hour
    car talk (archives)
    planet money
    invisibilia
    how I built this
    crimetown
    undone

all on NPR One app via iPhone.
    -Lud

I responded to the thread linked above, but just wanted to point out how great podcasts can be. Beats then heck out of radio (I like NPR One much better live radio NPR), listen on demand. Great for shop time and especially for long drives/flights.