Thread: Hoosier cupboard build

Hoosier cupboard build

Doing a Hoosier cupboard build for the house. we currently have a grand total of ONE 9" wide drawer in our kitchen, and that just aint gonna cut it for the next couple of years. (planning on gutting the house and changing the floor plan to make sense in 3-5 years.)

So, sketched it out, then did a scale drawing. Decided on two drawers rather than 4 after scaling it. I may change my mind when I get the case assembled, but for now its two.

Cabinet door joinery will likely be open bridle joint with raised panels. I may go with mortise and tenon joints, but probably wont.

Drawers will be dovetailed, Half blinds in front, full in back.

I milled all the lumber with machines. I'll be doing the joints by hand. First workout I'll be giving the Veritas Dovetail saw I bought a few months ago.

Materials: Poplar for the casework and face frames. Cherry for the doors and drawers. I need to pick up some more cherry to resaw for the back of the upper cabinet, and some more to use for the counter top.

I'll be making two of these, one in all poplar with a maple top, the other as described above for the house, so if you see a picture where the wood is different than you were thinking, that is likely why.

Might take a week or two for me to get these finished up. I've got some other work I need to finish, and my shop is currently undergoing a major rearranging/cleaning.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Making furniture teaches us new ways to remove splinters.

Looking forward to see it come along.