Thread: Rigid spindle sander

Rigid spindle sander

Can some one with a rigid spindle sander let me know what the dimensions are, especially how tall it is? I looked at the HD website but I don't see dimensions. I looked at some reviews online but I see different dimensions. I am building a cart for my planer and would like to make it big enough to store this sander underneath on a shelf. I went to HD today and the display model was gone!! I plan on buying the sander soon.

Thanks.

It's 18 inches high, from the bottom of its base to the top of the knob that holds the belt mechanism on the shaft. The base is 18 inches from front to back and 21 inches wide. I have mine on a flip table/cart I made to hold it, with a 12" Jet disk sander on the other side. If you leave a 20" space between shelves, you should be all right.

Joe, thank you, that is exactly what I needed. Are you happy with the ridged?

I use the belt mostly. It's really useful for sanding down to the cut line for things I've done on the bandsaw. I sand open curves with the small end of the belt (even though some say you're not supposed to use it like that) instead of switching to the drums. I make bookends frequently for gifts and make base plates out of aluminum sheet. I cut the shapes with tin snips and then refine and smooth the edges with the belt. (It also works on brass, which has gotten too expensive to use these days.) The drums I save for sanding inside closed curves--interior cutouts. For the price, it's an excellent machine.

Mike, it's an excellent sander. I switch back and forth between belt and spindles. The process is quick and simple.

Excellent sander. I have used the drum the most but have used the belt.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I've had one for many years and it is great. I also mostly use the belt. That's a bit of a shame since not long after I got it HD had a bunch of spindles on a clearance table for 90% off and I bought all of them.

I prefer it over my other belt sanders because of the oscillation and the design that puts the belt perpendicular to the table. The dust is a problem. I've decided that for certain tools shops need a Dust Room that you don't enter without a respirator!

JKJ

I'm very happy with mine as well. Have had it for two years and have had no problems with it.

One of the real work horses out there. I guess that's why Ridgid has not changes the basic design. That puppy has been on the market for quite some time.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Quick question and don't mean to hijack...what does everyone use for replacements for the sandpaper drums/belts? I'm still using the standard 50 grit (or is it 80?). How high do you go on this machine?

I mostly buy belts/sleeves from Klingspor...I rarely use anything coarser than 100 and have up to 320 (belts). Mostly use 100 for the sleeve and 150 and 240 for the belt.