Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: That dresser build...

That dresser build...

Since the other post was getting a tad too long-winded, I thought I'd start a post on just that dresser build part of the Dungeon Shop Remodel.

Ok, I did get a little work done today, Mr. Gumption had dragged me to the shop. I had a glue up to do, on the side #1, first...
    .glued up.JPG
    Each one of these plywood panels had to be popped out, a bead of Elmer's run around the edges in the rebates. Then each panel in it's turn ( I was doing one at a time)was popped back into it's place, and then nailed off. I also trimmed the tops of the corner posts to be flush with the top rail..
    trimmed up.JPG
    Then cleared the bench..
    cleared off.JPG
    The bright shiny end on the right? I used a plane to flatten out the well beat up surface. Not everyday the bench is this cleaned off
    So, one of the problems with side #1, was sizes of the rails varied just a little bit. And got trimmed a little too much. Decided to just do all 6 rails at once, so they will be the same size.
    First off, they needed trimmed to the same length...
    6 rails.JPG
    I used the shortest one of the group, to mark the rest. Then I hauled each around to the 358 Mitre Box and cut the lines.
    trimmed.JPG
    Much better? Width and thickness was next...we have ways...
    jack plane.JPG
    I also had a combo square set up, to check the progress. Finally got all six to match...S4S
    stacked up.JPG
    Just an old Stanley No.5 smooth sole. So, the next time I am in the shop, I can start in with another type of Stanley plane..
    rail stack.JPG
    Also, the two corner posts were resawn today, after a major clean up of the bandsaw. Even had Pine Gunk build-up on one side of the saw blade
    Crosscut to make two posts, then resaw until they are 1" thick, by 3" wide, with enough "extra" to plane the edge straight, and smooth. Second post wanted to bow a bit.....

Corner post troubles....clamped the two posts together..
    two posts.JPG
    As one barely had any bow to it. I'll let these two sit for a for days..
    stashed.JPG
    And see IF it is any better behaved. I can do the rails first, anyway.
    Noticed a bit of squeeze out on the side #1, had to clean that up, AND the shop.

BTW: One of the Shop Cats caught a small Black Bat down in the shop this morning......had to do a "Catch & Release" after she had brought her "find' upstairs to show off. Of course, she lost it. Finally trapped the critter between a Broom and a dust pan, and let the critter loose out the back door of the house. Last seen flying west, as fast as it could go. After all, most Dungeons do have a few bats, right?

Hi Steven,

Years ago the neighbors cats began to use my folks garden as a latrine. Dad took an extremely dim view of that, and told me that he intended to break them of the habit. To do that, he said you had to give them a "real bad experience." In his case it meant him setting out on the back porch with a BB gun. He told me that it was amazing how fast a cat could run when it as motivated.

At any rate, you may be rid of the bats. Being caught by a cat has to be considered a "real bad experience," I would think, even if the bat was let go.

Stew

Making progress...hope to see it in person Saturday if things work out.

Might have the other side about done, by then?

Ok, despite it being a Monday, decided to at least try to get something done. Had 6 rails to do..with a lot of this going on
    45 work.JPG
    The apron was getting too many holes from the screws....went with this bit of scrap..
    scrap.JPG
    Held flush to the top of the bench. It no longer mattered where the screws would go.
    After each and every rail was finished with the 45, time to trim for the tenons. I had installed a loose piece of scrap on the Mitre Box's bed/deck. I added a screw to keep it in place. Made a gauge line to place each end of the rails to. Just a pencil line. Mitre would crosscut to a certain depth...
    crosscut.JPG
    And as long as the end just barely touched the gauge line..
    gauge line.JPG
    The length of the rail between the tenons would be the same. To remove the waste from the tenon? The other day it was by backsaw....too much set ups for that, Today it was a jig on the bandsaw..
    jig.JPG
    I'd set the rail up on it's side, with the waste between the jig and the blade. I'd saw back until I reached where the Mitre saw cut was. throw the waste away. I'd then clean the tenons up with the chisel.

Finally, after almost 2 hours in the shop, these six parts were about..done
    6 rails.JPG
    And, they are all within a 1/16" of each other, and the top rail of the other side's panel. That is what I set things to.
    Molded 10 edges on these six rails, top and bottom rails only get molded on the plywood panel edge. Makes a LOT of shavings to be swept up...
    shavings.JPG
    Igor had already swept the floor twice before this shot, and left me to sweep things up for the third time.

Maybe tomorrow, I can start on the two corner posts? Twas a good day in the shop...nothing was hurled against a wall....stay tuned

Staying tuned....

Could have used a bit of help today....
    Corner posts have been jointed and surfaced on the sawn side.
    planes.JPG
    Chopped some pockets (12 of these things)
    pine pockets.JPG
    After a lot of transferring lines, cutting things to make feet..
    feet.JPG
    And a lot of fitting going on..
    coped joint.JPG
    Finally got to the point I could do a bit of assembly work. Worked my way down one post, checking for square as I glued and screw each rail in place.
    DSCF0025.JPG
    A cordless drill to make the pilot holes, but..
    hood toys.JPG
    One for the counter sink bit, and the Yankee for a Phillips #8 screw. Two screws per joint.

screws.JPG
    Don't ya just LOVE them knots? NOT. Used a couple clamps to help out with the other post. I installed the scews in the bottom rail, and then pull the rest of the mess in to match, about 18-7/16"wide overall. had a couple that took a bit more clamping pressure.
    assembly time.JPG
    Decide against doing the plywood panels tonight, 4 hours IN the shop is quite enough for one day.
    Stay tuned, have a little "extra" to post about...

Ok, some of the tools today....that old mallet got a workout, my little 6" combo square as well.
    shop stool.JPG
    And, it is kind of nice to sit down on the job, Bandsaw had a few jobs today.
    tools 1.JPG
    Backsaw came in handy, as for that chisel...
    DSCF0020.JPG
    Not only can I see myself in the back, but the bevel as well. Before each "pocket" was chopped, I used the pants leg of my jeans to "strop" the edge a bit....way too many knots today. Might have gotten it TOO sharp...
    ouch.JPG
    Just barely grazed the finger....and made a mess,,,
    As for those screws. Two per joint, with a bed of Elmer's..
    screws.JPG
    Wound up with a frame..
    completed frame.JPG

Discovered i had one foot a hair too long. Trimmed that off, now they set nicely with the side 1 behind it.

Look at the second rail down?
    DNA.JPG
    Yep, a bit of DNA Finish.
    Plywood panel will be tomorrow, too tuckered out, tonight.
    Stay tuned....

Also, I had to use the Stanley #45 as both posts needed the sash cutter run along an edge.......again, those knots got in the way. Unless I use the sash cutter for around the top's frame, I think I am done with it, for now. Need to reset it to make a rebate for the back. I also have a Wards ( Staneley) No.78 to try. I need to mill a rebate along the back edges of both side panels, to install a back for the case. Say, about 1/4" deep, by 3/4" wide. Then I can size the web-frames better.

I think I know a way to clamp the sides to the bench, to mill the rebates. Wil see in the morning, after getting the plywood panels installed in side #2.

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Also, I had to use the Stanley #45 as both posts needed the sash cutter run along an edge.......again, those knots got in the way. Unless I use the sash cutter for around the top's frame, I think I am done with it, for now. Need to reset it to make a rebate for the back. I also have a Wards ( Staneley) No.78 to try. I need to mill a rebate along the back edges of both side panels, to install a back for the case. Say, about 1/4" deep, by 3/4" wide. Then I can size the web-frames better.

I think I know a way to clamp the sides to the bench, to mill the rebates. Wil see in the morning, after getting the plywood panels installed in side #2.

Keep the pics coming, hoping to see this Saturday.

well, IF I can get out of my chair this morning, I might wander back to the shop, for a few things...

Dealing with someone called Miya S. B. Draggin right now. Doubt IF I'll do another 4-5 hour stint in the shop, today.....might just "plane around" today..

Works for me!

Tested both the Stanley #45 and a Wards ( Stanley) #78 out this morning, to cut a rebate or two.
    first rebate.JPG
    The 78 didn't do too bad a job, but is a bit hard to hold AND push.
    wards 78.JPG
    Set up for a 1/4" deep by 9/16" wide rebate. Thumb on the left hand was getting sore. Not much of a place to stick the thumb in.

I had set the 45 just a tad narrower as it turned out
    DSCF0013.JPG
    About 1/2' wide. not a biggie.
    second side.JPG
    It was a bit easier to hold and push along, though. Thumb wasn't complaining. There are a couple of knots along the way on this rebate, and the cutter on the 45 chatter a bit going through them. Kind of a schrill "eeeep" .

I spent some time, cleaning the 78,sharpening it.s cutter. I also had to work on the cutter for the 45...a Number 17 cutter. I flattened both the bevel and the back. both needed that. Figured if both planes wer at their best, a better comparision could be made. The 78 weighs about half what the 45 did this morning, too. 78 was easier to adjust the depth of cut.
    As for the rest of today's Shop Time?
    plywood panel work.JPG
    I have a few panels to cut out, and install.....might be able to at least get a start on web-frames....tomorrow?

Ok, I got the plywood panels cut to size, fitted to the location they go to, glued them in place and added a few small nails, for good measure..
    DSCF0002.JPG
    Had to fine tune a few edges. Used a "made for Sears" Millers Falls block plane.....like a Stanley #220. Got all the panels in place.
    DSCF0005.JPG
    But... I wasn't quite done with the side. Used it to layout some measurements to build the web-frames from..
    DSCF0006.JPG
    Once all the figures were in, I could set the Side #2 aside...
    DSCF0008.JPG
    And crosscut a bunch of parts..
    DSCF0009.JPG
    enough to make 6 web-frames. Still need to make a few "kickers". Mortise & tenon work to join these parts. Just a chisel and a mallet. Might have to make a jig to hold things square for a glue-up. Been a LONG day..
    DSCF0003.JPG
    nails were short enough, I had to use a pair of needle nose pliers to start the nails. That is it, until tomorrow...stay tuned.

Ok, for those that are following along. Since both sides are now done, time to make a few web-frames for the drawers to slide on. They also help hold the sides together..

First, I needed a bunch of these cut, and fast ( don't have all day to fool around with them)
    Attachment 352226
    The short rails get a small tenon on each end, so I made a "prototype" to set a few jigs up. The Stanley #358 Mitre Box had depth stops I can set..
    Attachment 352227
    That little brass thingy, under the guide. Set the front and back one to just barely touch the tenon on the prototype. I also needed a "stop block" for repeatable cuts....going to be a LOT of them..
    Attachment 352228
    So...24 tenons required 48 cuts made....whew, hard on an old elbow. Next I needed a way to cut the waste off of each tenon's cheeks..
    Attachment 352229
    Re-saw guide on the bandsaw, came in rather handy. I'd saw until the waste fell over. So, now I have 48 of these little scraps all over the floor....just to get this far?
    Attachment 352230
    The other end looks just the same. Next, had to go and dig out and old jig for chopping mortises. It did need a bit of an up-date, though. Old sides were a bit too tall, and the space between them was too loose... made a pair of new sides. and clamped a part and the sides into the vise..
    Attachment 352231
    drill and countersink a few new holes. Then I could install the jig on the bench, right over a leg's top...
    Attachment 352232
    The long rails get a mortise on each end. Kind of a funny looking mortise, as these will be open-ended ones.
    Nearing the limit on photos. So, the next episode, in a bit, will deal with the mortise work, to build a few frames
    Last edited by steven c newman; 01-19-2017 at 4:55 PM.