Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: That dresser build...

Ok, that is weird. All seven photos are just listed as "attachments" Hmmm. I didn't do anything different on my end. Oh, carry on.
    DSCF0010.JPG
    Ok, with a pair of Visegrips Finger clamps to hold the part in place. I can saw just inside the lines,( the waste side), and trying not to over-cut too much. I use a mortise chisel to chop down on the far end, and then just pop the waste out..
    DSCF0011.JPG
    And use that wide chisel to trim for a nice fit on each tenon.
    DSCF0012.JPG
    Not too bad? The jig helps hold each frame, so I can check for square, if need be..
    DSCF0014.JPG
    I am fitting each and every part to it new home, and marking which end of which part goes where. I also had a few old sticks of pine..
    DSCF0015.JPG
    This is called a "Kicker". One goes on the underside of each frame. They are there to keep a drawer from tipping down when you pull the drawer out. The frame for the bottom of the case will have two kickers, also on the underside. I place those there to add a bit of strength at the bottom of the case. They also help attach a face frame at the bottom.
    So far, after about 3-4 hours/
    DSCF0016.JPG
    Three frames are ready for glue & Nails, and a pair of screws to hold the kickers. halfway there, the other three should be a little quicker to do.
    If I can, I may wander back down to the shop later.....we'll see. Stay tuned.

Now, about those "other' pictures? Ok, it seems to have fixed itself? Went to edit it, didn't have to...

Suppertime is done, debating on going back to the shop, or just put a movie in and kick back awhile getting to be a LONG week....

At least the harder stuff got done today, next time will be just a chop here and there. Clear the bench and nail the frames together. Maybe tomorrow, eh?

Hi Steven,

It looks like the "Dresser" storage cabinet is coming along well, and it looks like it is going to be pretty good sized for storage. Have to say: looks like a big improvement for storage over the drier.

Good job.

Stew

Should be a decent place to hide all the extra stuff out of sight.

Got all the frames ready for assembly
    DSCF0001.JPG
    Was running out of a place to stash them. Once the last bit of M&T work was done, I cleared off the bench...and started some assembly work
    DSCF0002.JPG
    Spread some glue, pull things together nice and tight, and square..
    DSCF0003.JPG
    Add two nails per joint....Drill a counter bore
    DSCF0004.JPG
    And drill a pilot hole, two per end. These are for the screws to attach the frames to the sides.
    DSCF0005.JPG
    Bottom frame ( #5) gets two of these kickers, adds a bit of strength to the case, the rest of the frames will look like this..
    DSCF0006.JPG
    The kicker here is on the underside of the frame, and keeps a drawer from tipping down. So far, I have the bottom frame and the next two frames above it done. Maybe after I return from a road trip later, I can get the other three frames assembled?

Maybe tomorrow, I can start to attach the frames to a side..or two? Might be a bit rough for just one pair of hands to do....

Brand new camera, and still a bit fuzzy? Oh well..

Got all the frames made tonight. Then I installed them on to one of the sides..
    frames done.JPG
    These have been glued and screwed into place. I even had a framing square to keep things aligned..
    square.JPG
    Will need some extra hands to help flip this over and on to the other side.....And, assemble THAT side.

no "work" today.....went on a road trip, instead. Went to the Columbus, OH area, and toured two very nice shops. Chris has even less room to walk around in his shop than I do, as it takes up an entire garage. Lots of stuff to look over. Had to help him and Andrew P. unload an older Delta Cabinet saw.....about 500 pounds of saw!....good thing we had torn the thing down a bit. Seller had a Cabinet saw/Guitar shop FULL of old arn.....and I forgot to take a camera along..drat.
    We also did a shop tour of Andrew's shop...also very nice. Then we stopped at a place for a Mexican Supper.....Then one more time at Andrew's. Got a couple chisels done on his tormek. Then was driven back to my place by Chris

Highly enjoyed the day! Got to see other shops. Very nice hosts. Maybe doing it again in a month. I just MIGHT have this dresser done by then...maybe...
    BTW: we did flip the dresser over, so I can attach the other side to the frames. I had the lumber to make a frame to hold the top's panel, just need to do a bit of resaw work, again. Stay tuned

Steven; nothing personal, but the quality of the photo's you are posting with your new camera are not doing my eyesight any favours.

My apologies for being so forward.

regards Stewie;

On that note...I can stop taking pictures all together.....

Anyway. ( Use you'all's imagination) Got the second side attached to the frames. Had to do a bit of chisel work to get a decent enough fit. Mainly on the stiles, where the rails were a hair lower than the stiles. Chiseled out a spot for the rails to sit in. Kind of awkward, though, and had to forego any glue. Screws alone, for now. Once the back is on, and the rails for a face frame are installed, should be quite enough to keep things together.

Rails to make a "face frame" are just 1 x 2s. On each end will be a single dovetail. Hand chopped, at that. Working from the bottom up, I managed to install the first two rails.....and ran out of clamps. hate when that happens.
    Glue in the sockets for the pins, and glue along the edge of the web-frame. Clamp it all in place. I used a pipe clamp to pull the side/stiles in tight. I used two "F" clamps to hold rials together until the glue set. had to use another one to adjust one web-frame into flush with the top edge of the front rail.

Lunch Break, and let the glue dry. Trying to figure out how to reach the other spots.

Best I can do, with what I have for a camera. IF someone wants better ones, they can bring thier OWN camera to my shop, and take what pictures that suit them.
    DSCF0005.JPG
    Where I had to dig a little extra out....
    DSCF0007.JPG
    Where I am working at. To take these, I had to shut off the overhead lights, and use a Mechanic's Trouble light to see.
    DSCF0004.JPG
    Web-frame clamped to the face rail. As for the dovetail
    DSCF0003.JPG
    A bit of sawdust to fill any gaps. Pipe clamp to help pull the sides tight

DSCF0002.JPG
    As for lighting.....it is what it is, I need to be able to actually SEE what I am doing, and not worry about someone else's "picture quality" set up.

So, you all can either put up with MY camera, or.....show up and do your own. My cash is going towards the woodworking, not running a Photography Studio. Or, just put your glasses back on.......

Well, went out and bought a 1/4" x4' x 4' plywood panel, and a couple 2 x 2s. Half the panel will be for the back of the case, the left-over will be for the top.

Talked with the Boss, and bought a 20 meg upgrade grade to replace the "fired" vivitar......something called a Vivi cam XX14? will see how it does, later.

Top will be a frame. 1" thick, mitered ends. A plywood panel will get glued and nailed into a rebate so it fits flush with the top of the frame. LONG screws to attach the frame to the tops of the stiles. Screws will be under the panel, out of sight.

Have all the rails cut to length for the front edges of the webframes. Will give it a face frame look, or at least try to. Hoping the tripod holds onto the new camera a bit better....

Camera settings: This is a very bare-bones, point & shoot Vivitar. With a very hard to see screen to adjust any settings. No "F Stop" on the lens.
    Tripod: Is a bit worn. The shaking issues were more to do with the PLASTIC area on the camera where the tripod threads in. Yep, threads in the camera were stripped out. Bought an "upgraded version last night of the vivi cam. At least the threads on it are brass.

Shop lights are directly overhead of my bench. I prefer to at least be able to see what I am working on. There is a pair of BRIGHT T-8s in the shop light. The rest of the very dark basement shop, is either LED or the energy saver coiled bulbs.

It is very CRAMPED down in the Dungeon Shop. Usually just enough room for my fat body to move around and not knock things onto the floor. Almost like working in the back of a mini-van.

May give the new camera a test run, with the lights on....sometime later today. The Boss has other errands she wants done first.....there also seems to be a rule against working in the shop on Mondays......

Bright work lights vs clean, white Pine......glare factor.

PS: the camera being complained about the last couple of days, is the same camera I bought several weeks ago, and everyone seemed to like how clear the pictures were. Strange.

Ok, this is only a test, in the event of a real camera being used, you would have been instructed to.....

Had to go back and re-size them a bit. Pictures were coming out a bit too RED, and had to tone things back a bit. Still having issues with glare off of white wood. Still learning when to use the Macro setting, and when NOT to..
    DSCF0010 (640x480).jpg
    Welcome to my world
    DSCF0005 (640x480).jpg
    this is where I do most of the work in the shop..
    DSCF0006 (640x480).jpg
    Though, sometimes, I'll be back here. Plywood panel is for the back of the case, and should be enough for the top's panel. The 2x3 will be re-sawn down to make parts of the tops' frame.
    DSCF0001 (640x480).jpg
    Still learning about that "Macro" thing....

You can almost read the scale on the square...

"This concludes the test, " as the voice on the radio was wont to say.....

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Ok, this is only a test, in the event of a real camera being used, you would have been instructed to.....

Had to go back and re-size them a bit. Pictures were coming out a bit too RED, and had to tone things back a bit. Still having issues with glare off of white wood. Still learning when to use the Macro setting, and when NOT to..
    DSCF0010 (640x480).jpg

DSCF0001 (640x480).jpg
    Still learning about that "Macro" thing....
    The first picture is really nice! The 'macro' on my Canon requires me to be very close to the object - like an entire flower (rose) fills the frame. Once you are more than a few inches away the macro hurts more than it helps - never focuses properly - like your last picture. Why do they call it macro anyway? I would call it micro!

The "red" hue seems to be from the lights used in the basement...I do not have LEDs in the shop. Just florescents...Found asetting for THAT, and will try it out at a later date. I also was able to select a better size of pictures, instead of the 2.2 mega files it was taking. It still has problems with taking both a close-up ( the brace till) and anything in the background ( PlaneTill) will try to either "crop" the backrounds out, or try something else.

Camera is a Vivitar vivi cam XX14. Still learning.

Took the day off from any shop work, as the camera "issues" were being almost taken care of. Didn't leave any time to do wood working....may be getting withdrawals? And, normally, I try to avoid working in the shop on a Monday. maybe I can get a little something done tomorrow? Hopefully, it will be woodworking.