Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: That dresser build...

Drawers look to be coming along nicely! I was thinking that you would be apply a face board though, to cover up the exposed dovetails. More of a furniture feature though I suppose.

Just storage for the shop.

Drawer #3 is sitting in the clamps, right now
    DSCF0005.JPG
    Started this just after 3pm..
    DSCF0001.JPG
    When I crosscut a 1 x 6 x 8' Pine board...not too bad a day? Even for a Monday....

Hi Steven,

The close up of the corners looks pretty good. You asked about finish, and mentioned paint, BLO, and poly. From that I take it that your now famous "Witches Brew" is out for this project?

I like a go around with Danish Oil followed by plenty of drying time, and end up with a coat or more normally two of poly U because it is so tough. The Danish oil always seem to give fir or pine lumber a nice warm appearance. Don't know how it would look on dovetailed joints though, but I THINK it would be fine.

Keep us up to speed on the finish you decide on.

Stew

Enjoying the progress...Keep at it!

Made a trip to pick up the last of the lumber for this build. Need to build two more drawers. Been hiding from Mr. Gumption all day.....waiting on a bowl of Chili & Rice to settle....then maybe a trip down to take a few pictures?

I had to buy the boards as 1x6s, as the last two drawers are too high to use a 1x4 on. They will require a rip to width cut, and a jointer..plane...

Hide the exposed dovetails? Why? All that work, and someone wants them hidden? I'll just celebrate mine.....shows off what I can do in the shop.

Ok, here we go. I had to move the case out of my way today..
    three drawers.JPG

This thing is getting heavy.....

Cross cut the next plank, resawed it for height and jointed the sawn edges.
    sides jointed.JPG
    But the ends were a bit wavy...soo, an old jig came out to play..
    shooting board.JPG
    To get rid of the non-square ends..
    squared cut.JPG
    Yeah, I switched to a little larger plane to "Chute" with, a #6c

Did the usual dovetail things..
    dovetailed.JPG
    After that, I ran the Stanley 45 around awhile. Then resized the back piece to fit. Then cut the plywood bottom to fit.

Grabbed the brand new bottle of glue, and a bunch of pipe clamps, and put drawer #4 into glue-up mode..
    clamped square.JPG
    Diagonal clamp is to pull it into square. Screws were added to hold the back better. Along with a few through the bottom panel and into the back.
    Four drawers done, one more to go.

Not sure IF I'll apply a finish down in the shop, or haul the thing upstairs and apply it there. All this moving the case around (not a whole lot of room down here) and one of the nailed on foot pads came off.....yep, shoe found it. Good thing my shoe has a thick sole. maybe tomorrow, I can add the knobs and start on #5? Maybe this weekend, I can get the old Dryer OUT of the shop, and start loading this dresser up. Might even add a rack on one side, to hold the pipe clamps...stay tuned, almost done

Uuummmm, Morning, is it? I gotta stop them late night trips to the Dungeon.....

IF and when I manage to get moving around today, I may get #4 out of the clamps. Might even add the knobs.

Debating on adding a slim piece of wood, to help "center" the drawers....or maybe just learn to slide them in straight......

Well, drawer #4 now has the knobs installed, and is fitted to the case.

The Infamous Witch's Brew was dragged out, a pint of SMELLY BLO added to "refresh it" up a bit. Top has a coat of it, along with the front and one side of the case. And the four installed drawers. Letting things dry today, even the camera is taking the day off.

Design parameters:

LOW Budget ( as in almost no budegt)
    Pine: Someone else wants fancy wood? Go out and buy some.....waste of good wood with this project
    Skill set: Trying to keep what little skills I do have, in working order
    Shop Storage: This will get abused, beat up, slid around. Never meant for "Upstairs" use. This will reside in a basement.

If someone is taking notes on how this is being built, fine. Go out to your shop, and put the notes to good use. Try them out, if you do like them, that's fine too.

This is being built to take abuse in the shop, never was meant to be "Fine Furniture"

Maybe, someday, I'll make another one out of Brazil Wood......first I have to get a bunch to work with.

Be glad to see it complete and interested to see what yous tart next.

You get more done in a hand tool shop than many power tool guys get done...

Well, I went to the shop, to take a few pictures of some fancy looking pine....
    DSCF0004.JPG
    Has this right down the center of the 1 x 6 I was going to use for the top drawer....trying to decide how to show it off...

Sneak peek...
    DSCF0002.JPG
    Getting closer to the finish-line. First coat of Witch's Brew.....it will be sitting her until the smelly stuff dries..
    DSCF0001.JPG
    Almost done..

OK, how long does it take for a BLO finish to dry enough that I can get back to work on the last drawer?

About 24 hours, it seems....

Ok, was a hit and miss sort of day today, work awhile, errands for a while, then back to the shop.
    Got tired of the Cordless circular saw's wavy cuts, decided to try something else..
    D-8 and a square.JPG
    IF you look closely you will see two saws in use, here. I used the Disston D-8 to crosscut the pine plank, and refined the cut a bit on the Stanley #358 in the background. The square?
    square and jointer.JPG
    Is a rather LARGE Stanley one. There are numbers I can read on the blade, the number closest to the arm is a number 8, as in 8". I also had to joint a sawn edge, as i had to shrink the width down to 4-1/2". Then the usual suspects showed up..
    usual suspects.JPG
    The backsaw? Came from an old Eclipse Nest of saws...Along with a few chisels tonight, to get to this..
    Dovetails.JPG
    Then I ran the stanley 45 around a bit, grooves for the bottom panel, and a dado for the back to sit in.
    Then I could resaw the back to fit. Then it was time to cut the plywood for the bottom, and then the glue and clamps..
    glued up.JPG
    I did use a clamp across the back, just long enough for me to add 3 screws to each side/end. There are a few more screws to hold the bottom in place, as well.
    Maybe tomorrow, I came get the last of these drawers out of the clamps..
    knobs.JPG
    Install the last of these knobs. Fit the drawer to it's opening. And then add the finish.....stay tuned, might be almost ready to post as a "Project"?

Ok, about to call this project done. It began because this mess had to go..
    DSCF0001.JPG
    Nasty place, needs a bit to make this fit into a workshop..
    DSCF0003.JPG
    I think this does look a little better?

DSCF0005.JPG
    Details, details. Was lucky enough to find five pairs of knobs that matched each other....
    DSCF0007.JPG
    Hard to believe that top is just a 1/4" thick, plywood panel, sitting in a frame.
    That little box on top? It houses the main tool I used to build this dresser. A Stanley No. 45, type 20 SW from Roxton Pond, QUE. Canada.

I think I can call this a completed Project?

Call it complete indeed! Looks really good, hope it provides years of good service!

Hey Steven,

Looks pretty good! Your famous Witches Brew looks pretty good on it too, brings out the dovetails pretty well.

Now you will have to fill it up. I am now certain it will be better storage than the washing machine.

Good Job!

Stew