Thread: Jet JTAS10 3 HP Cabinet saw ?s

Jet JTAS10 3 HP Cabinet saw ?s

Does anyone know if the Jet JTAS10 3HP 220W cabinet saw made in the late 1990s is American made or Chiwanese? How good is this saw? I currently have a 1.5-2HP Delta Contractor's saw probably made in late 80s I think. It's the Platinum Edition. It has a sticker on the front that says "Made in America". Not sure if that just means they assembled in here or really made it here. Anyway, I'm not that hot on Asian woodworking machines but would this Jet cabinet saw be a big upgrade for me? It's in good shape, has a Beismeyer-clone fence with long rails and there's nothing wrong with it.

Thanks, Mike

I have never heard of a JET saw made in the USA.
    I have one around that age. The "Made In the USA" is the sticker on the fence? The fence was made in the USA, not the saw.
    Oddly enough when purchased I had problems with the USA fence not the saw. Things on the fence were welded out of square. Like they just said "Hey they can adjust that out" Two replacement fences were worse than the original. Dealer ended up giving me an aftermarket fence. The HTC.

The JET saw is a great saw and would buy again. They have gone up in price. My saw was $1299 new back then.
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 01-15-2017 at 9:03 PM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    I have never heard of a JET saw made in the USA.
    I have one around that age. The "Made In the USA" is the sticker on the fence? The fence was made in the USA, not the saw.
    My bad. That sticker is on my Delta Platinum Edition Contractor's saw. It's on the front of the saw not on the fence. NOT on the Jet I'm considering. But interesting to know ALL Jet's were never American made. I assume they're Asian then?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Manning View Post
    My bad. That sticker is on my Delta Platinum Edition Contractor's saw. It's on the front of the saw not on the fence. NOT on the Jet I'm considering. But interesting to know ALL Jet's were never American made. I assume they're Asian then?

Delta did make some saws in the USA but not sure of that one. Will let others answer that.
    My JET was made in Taiwan if I remember right. The fit and finish was excellent.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I would consider the Jet cabinet saw a move up from a Delta contractor saw. Made in Taiwan would consider better than made in China. The Delta contractor saw was nowhere near the quality of a Unisaw.

The Jet saw was likely manufactured in Asia. It's a good saw, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The Jet was made in Taiwan. However, it's a step up in class to an industrial cabinet saw. The Jet's underpinnings are much more robust, and the motor will have substantially more power. How well it cuts will depend on several things including the fence, setup, blade, belts/pulleys, etc.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Mike

Jet is/was part of WMH Tools at that time. Their machines were made in Taiwan during that time period. Now they're probably made in mainland China.
    It's a nice machine. I couldn't afford one at the time, but I do remember looking at them.
    It would be fairly significant upgrade to your current saw power wise, and especially in the dust collection area.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I think you'll find there's a night and day difference between the Delta you have now and the Jet saw. It's heavier and much more powerful. You won't be sorry you moved up.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Landphair View Post
    I think you'll find there's a night and day difference between the Delta you have now and the Jet saw. It's heavier and much more powerful. You won't be sorry you moved up.
    I hope it happens Doug but it sounds like I'm second in line to see the saw. :-(

I had one. It is a very good saw. The only reason I sold it was I wanted a SS and a riving knife. Mine had a Biesmeyer fence. Made in Taiwan.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.