Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drawer lock bit gap issue

Drawer lock bit gap issue

Can anyone help me with this inside gap issue? This is the best out of 20 test cuts and its still not correct. I have an inside gap that refused to close up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    You nee to raise the bit up slightly when cutting the left hand piece in your photo. Cut a piece of hardwood for both settings to use as a set up block for future joints.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 01-16-2017 at 8:10 AM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

According to lee valley and a bunch of other manufactures... you are suppose to be able to set the height and set the fence to be able to cut the fronts / backs and sides without readjusting the tool or fence once dialed in.

Blog Entries
    I agree, but that is what you need to do to fix your problem. What brand bit do you have?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

The bit is a whiteside. 1" dia 1/2" shank

I haven't use one of those bits in a long time but doesn't the lumber have to be an exact thickness for it to work without having to adjust the bit?. If it's a three-quarter inch bit and then the plywood is probably slightly thinner???

The wood needs to be exact for you to set it up and run all the pieces. The bit does not need to match the wood

Blog Entries
    I do a fair amount of drawer lock joints with the bit you have. As you have stated the bit height does not need to be changed. The bit high does need to be correct so that both pieces match. I have a tall fence for the router table when I am doing this in ply. I cut a new ZCI for each session which gives me pretty clean and consistent results.

RT-Fence-Tall-ver-2 007.jpgRT-Fence-Tall-ver-2-first-cuts 002.jpgRT-Fence-Tall-ver-2-first-cuts 001.jpg

The parts you've already cut are spoil at this point. Judging by the joint you show you need to raise the bit half the distance of the gap and try again. Use scrap to get your height for a perfect joint. Then run hardwood blocks as recommended to use as set up blocks in the future.

The set up blocks will not always be perfect to due the variations in thickness of ply material. But they will get you very close right off the bat.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 01-16-2017 at 2:53 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I've made hundreds of drawers using this bit. From the picture I can see that you need to tweek the offset of the fence as well as the height of the bit.

I have the same bit by whiteside and had this issue when I first used it. You need to rise or lower your bit little at a time until they match up. Are you running a router lift? If so, which one are you running?

No lift its a hitachi router so its all adjust carefully by unlocking the router twisting it up or sown a small bit and retrying.

I have gotten the gap to close up a little but there is still one present.

Can anyone chime in with their height and fence dimensions used for 3/4 ply? Maybe that will help me...

Thickness of material does not matter. You need to adjust height of bit and fence location until joint fits tight. In your first photo, both need to be adjusted. For me, it takes about 4 tries to get it just right and that is using setup blocks that I made after first time I got it right. Once bit is set, you don't need to readjust it for front or side cut. It is always hard for my brain to sort out what to adjust and by how much. Maybe you can find complete and clear instructions on internet but hopefully you can sort it out without instructions.

Glenn, John, and Hoang have it right.

Justin, see link to the Whiteside instructions which might help. Lee is correct. I suspect adjusting the router without a lift is part of the issue you are facing with getting a tight joint http://whitesiderouterbits.com/locki...rgluejoint.pdf

I agree with Bob that thickness doesn't matter. I saved my test cut piece and use it to get my height adjustment and log the position of my fence on the same test piece. I have an incra fence so it's completely different and my measurements won't help you. The instructions Andy linked you to was very helpful to me when I first set mine up. If you haven't already, check it out and give it a few more shots. Hope things work out for you.