Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Festool 5 inch sanding discs

I've read on festool owner's group that Bob Marino splits the 50 packs into 10 packs.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles P. Wright View Post
    I've read on festool owner's group that Bob Marino splits the 50 packs into 10 packs.
    +1. In a 2014 post on the FOG Bob said:

I haven't made an assortment, but ship the papers in whatever quantities customers request via email to me.

Bob

I've purchased most of my Festool stuff from Bob Marino. Free shipping to the lower 48, no sales tax except Ohio and New Jersey. Nice guy.
    Mark McFarlane

Abranet and adapters came today [Fast!] and I tried it on a few things as well as sanding out the first coat on some maple and ash doors. I think this will be my new favorite.

Thanks Jim, supplier was very efficient.

Huge Abranet Mesh fan here. Gave up on most of the Festool abrasives years ago. Larry, wait until you try the mesh on finishes - paint, lacquer, old varnish - yeah it will clog but still at 5 times (my estimate) a slower rate than anything else. 2Sand is my supplier. They've been great.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

This thread got me to thinking about how varied people's opinions on abrasives are. I think later tonight I will start a poll, need to compile a list of options and prepare myself for everyone complaining I didn't include their favorite... I did "OTHER" now go tell the kids to get off your lawn!
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I use only Festool Granat, and buy all my Festool tools and supplies from Bob Marino. He is super helpful and reliable. If you went to the expense of buying a Festool sander, my 2 cents you will get the best results using the paper they designed for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Len Rosenberg View Post
    If you went to the expense of buying a Festool sander, my 2 cents you will get the best results using the paper they designed for it.
    How are the Festool abrasives designed specifically for Festool sanders other than the hole pattern?

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

The hole pattern and the quality of the sanding paper.

Ill rip abranet or wear out the loop on the back of the abranet before I clog it with finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Len Rosenberg View Post
    I use only Festool Granat, and buy all my Festool tools and supplies from Bob Marino. He is super helpful and reliable. If you went to the expense of buying a Festool sander, my 2 cents you will get the best results using the paper they designed for it.
    What else have you compared them to? IMO they are not any better than avg sand paper. My cheaper (but still good value) ones are Klingspor and 3M and the best IMO is Abranet; it is actually best value as it lasts longer than it costs more vs the cheaper ones (except that I have bought 100's of other brands last time i ordered them so have lots to go through)...

Mreza, I've tried most of the Mirka papers, Abranet etc and most of the grades that Festool has - Granat is (far) superior to avg sand paper, IMO :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Giddings View Post
    Mreza, I've tried most of the Mirka papers, Abranet etc and most of the grades that Festool has - Granat is (far) superior to avg sand paper, IMO :-)
    Ok, I probably wasn't fair to Granat to call them avg; my disappointment with Rubin tainted my view of their sand paper (including the better and more expensive Granat). Still I don't go to Festool anymore for them (on my Festool sanders)....

Most of the abrasives mentioned in the thread are upper tier and most of them see widespread use in commercial and industrial settings but they end up being like flavors of ice cream. None of the discs mentioned in the thread are average in the grand scheme but may be average in this tier so some of our opinions may sound hyperbolic since we are all talking about top tier abrasives.

I just buy the Festool discs from Bob. He's a great resource.

I am willing to bet that Festool does not in fact make their own paper. I would guess they subcontract/private label from a company in Germany, such as Klingspor or VSM, or...
    I have no proof, but.....