Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Festool 5 inch sanding discs

Festool 5 inch sanding discs

Any suggestions for suppliers for Festool 5 inch sanding discs? Any aftermarket discs available? Does anyone make a hole punch for the Festool hole pattern? I just jumped into the Festool sanding world. Thanks in advance, Kevin
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-16-2017 at 7:58 PM. Reason: Reduced font size from "enormous" to normal.

Never seen a hole punch for anything but 1/2 sheet sanders. Both Klingspor and Rhynogrip make paper with Festool hole patterns, I have used Klingspor for years (they have retail woodworking stores but the company is primarily an industrial abrasive manufacturer based in the heart of the NC furniture manufacturing area).

It must be said though Festool makes very good abrasives and in the end based on their longevity they really aren't that overpriced at all.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Hi Kevin, I found that the Festool disks provided more life than the Klingspor I normally used, making them cost effective.................Rod.

Kevin,
    I use these Mirka Abranet discs on both my 6" and 5" Festool sanders. I find the dust collection to be excellent and they also last. Also clogging is not an issue. You do have to buy the interface pad for your sander. It goes between the sander pad and the Mirka Abranet. It also aids dust collection. A couple of links below. No connection, just a source that I have used with success. Also free shipping in most cases.

Jim

ebay.com/itm/Mirka-9955-5-Abranet-Pad-Protector-Hook-n-Loop-Qty-5-/281009313116?hash=item416d75d55c

stores.ebay.com/YourSandingSource?submit=%C2%A0&_nkw=5%22+Mirka+Ab ranet+discs
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 01-17-2017 at 8:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Tobias View Post
    Kevin,
    I use these Mirka Abranet discs on both my 6" and 5" Festool sanders. I find the dust collection to be excellent and they also last. Also clogging is not an issue. You do have to buy the interface pad for your sander. It goes between the sander pad and the Mirka Abranet. It also aids dust collection. A couple of links below. No connection, just a source that I have used with success. Also free shipping in most cases.

Jim

Odd I didn't think to mention Abranet I guess I was just blindly answering his question and also I guess I assumed he was looking for a cheaper alternative. I use Abranet almost exclusively on both my Mirka and Festool sanders, it is by far my favorite raw wood abrasive discs.

In the end abrasives tend to be one of those you get what you pay for thing and although Klingspor is quality paper (and I use other types all the time) Festool and Mirka discs are just as cost efficient in the long run, the only issue is the initial stocking of the grits you use.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 01-17-2017 at 8:12 AM.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

My only suggestion is to kindly reduce your font size. It's huge in mobile view. Thanks!

The 9955 did not fit the pro5 sander holes. You actually use one Jim? I am thinking of just adding holes to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    The 9955 did not fit the pro5 sander holes. You actually use one Jim? I am thinking of just adding holes to them.
    When I got my first Festool sander I just added holes to the interface pads since I had several of them already. I have never looked for one that actually fit.

I just bite the bullet and buy the Festool stuff.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Mike,
    I forgot to mention that. I do put the appropriate holes in the interface pad with a punch when I first get it. IMHO the mirka abranet sanding products allow much better airflow and do not clog.

Jim

Check out Industrial Abrasives. They have the proper holes and are cheaper AND better than Festool.(and Klingspor).

Quote Originally Posted by fRED mCnEILL View Post
    Check out Industrial Abrasives. They have the proper holes and are cheaper AND better than Festool.(and Klingspor).
    They sell Rhynogrip right? If so the quality of the discs is not near Festool or Mirka at least IMO.

I have tried all sorts of sandpaper and I still keep going back to Festool's. Last forever and it's really only 30 to 70 cents per disc, depending on the paper you want.

Fellows could you explain the interface pad and why I would need one. I purchased some of the Mirka a few weeks ago to use with the pro 5 but have not used it. I was under the impression that the reason for using this product besides it is supposed to be a quality sanding product is because the air flows thru it. Does the interface pad help the Abranet stay in place?
    I don't mean to high jack the thread. Just curious

thank you.

i read the eBay listing that you posted. I now understand the use of the interface pad. I would have thought the folks at Woodcraft would have know about the product they were selling. They were the ones to offer the Abranet over the FESTOOL paper as an alternative
    Last edited by Ben Abate; 01-16-2017 at 6:18 PM.
    sometimes it's people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one imagines. Alan Turing

thank you.[/QUOTE]

It prevents you from wearing out the hooks on the sander pad, they are far cheaper than replacing the sander pads.