Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Festool 5 inch sanding discs

1. Klingspors, their sand paper is good quality and their prices not bad. Very reasonable shipping.
    http://www.woodworkingshop.com/?inMe...n38aAkgN8P8HAQ
    That is where I get all my sanding disk, belts roll, all my sand paper.

2. Do you still use the H&L Paper with the interface pad?

I also have been very pleased with the abrasive performance and life with the "real" Festool discs.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Just to pile on I'll throw in my two cents too. I have used a ton of Rhynogrit/Industrial Abrasives paper before Festool paper. I bought the 9 hole pattern for my festool sanders from them. It is excellent paper. Then I found a steal on a bunch of actual festool paper, which I had never used because I thought it was too pricey, and I agree with others here. It's worth it. I find it last longer than the IA stuff and the paper itself is thicker which I like. I also like that I can get the Festool papers quicker if I run out. Either from Amazon in two days or from Woodcraft the same day if I feel like driving.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Delhommer Sr View Post
    Do you still use the H&L Paper with the interface pad?
    Yes. (10 characters)
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I can't remember who it was, but someone on the internet sells a custom assortment of Festool grits, with something like 10-20 pieces per grit. Much cheaper than buying Qty=50 of everything.
    Mark McFarlane

I use at least a few thousand dollars worth of discs per year, in a pro shop. I have been buying the Klingspor product since about 6 months after buying my festool sanders about 8-10 years. They are a much better value than the festool discs in my opinion

I didn't like Festool papers. 3M and Klingspor are good value. Abranet is my preferred one.

Blog Entries
    We use Klingspor at work also. I will use several brands at my shop but prefer VSM at around $65/100, but they don't sell to the public. Kilingspor salesman restocks the company each week were VSM won't, so Klingspor is in. http://us.vsmabrasives.com/ I think the Klingspor is $15/100...
    Attached Images Attached Images

The only objective testing I have seen was in FWW maybe 5-6 years ago and Klingspor won pretty handily IIRC. Abranet (which again I love and prefer to all others) didn't do so well on value, it is very expensive and they did not test Festool, I suppose due to it only being available in their hole pattern. I think it was one of the 3M papers that was the most aggressive but even more expensive than Abranet.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

The best Festool material for woodworking and finishes I've found so far is their newish Granat range. Long lasting, never had it clog from a finish, just does the job

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    They sell Rhynogrip right? If so the quality of the discs is not near Festool or Mirka at least IMO.

I bought three boxes of this to try because it is so cheap. Not all bad, Does not load up terrible and sands well. I would say that you need to jump up one grit size, 320 instead of 220 for example as it seems a touch coarser than most, but overall at $14 for 50 not a bad buy. Have Klingspor as well and would make it and the Ryno about a draw.

I don't find the Festool paper to be all that much better than anything else myself so am not inclined to cut into my profit by using it.

What I would like to find is a 5 hole disk to fit the Festool 5" as I have cases of paper that is going unused. Hard to grab a sander that is inferior just to use up paper.
    Last edited by Larry Edgerton; 01-18-2017 at 5:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Tobias View Post
    Kevin,
    I use these Mirka Abranet discs on both my 6" and 5" Festool sanders. I find the dust collection to be excellent and they also last. Also clogging is not an issue. You do have to buy the interface pad for your sander. It goes between the sander pad and the Mirka Abranet. It also aids dust collection. A couple of links below. No connection, just a source that I have used with success. Also free shipping in most cases.

Jim

Thanks Jim. I just ordered some to try along with the pad adapters. Been going to try it for some time, but you made it so easy.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 01-17-2017 at 8:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mark mcfarlane View Post
    I can't remember who it was, but someone on the internet sells a custom assortment of Festool grits, with something like 10-20 pieces per grit. Much cheaper than buying Qty=50 of everything.
    Mark, thanks it would be interesting to know that source if you stumble across it.

The jump from 10 pack to 50 pack (and rather high price) grit from Festool is one of my few complaints. Happened to be checking IA this morning (for PSA large discs) and noticed the Rhynogrip 50 pack is priced at about the same as the Festool 10 pack. That happens to be a very acceptable "spend amount" whereas the 50 pack Festool (for one grit) is a lot of money. Must say, I am happy with the Festool paper.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Bill, I do understand the angst that the difference between 10-packs and 50-packs brings with purchase cost. But I also know that it's not a frequent purchase and the stuff doesn't go stale. The 50-packs have actually worked out well for me and last for a very long time since I'm not a prolific project maker at present...and I'm just amortizing the cost over a longer period of time at a lower per-piece price.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...