Thread: Need Some Scrap Wood Project Ideas

Need Some Scrap Wood Project Ideas

I've been stock piling scrap for years, and it's time I either do something with it or start getting rid of it. Scraps include Walnut, Maple, Sapele, Paduak, Jatoba, Zebrawood, Cherry, Wenge, Cocobolo, and several others. Some shorts, some long, and some are lefft over resaws (1/8" thick).

The obvoius are cutting boards, coasters, and various different candle holders. Just wondered if anyone had any other or out-of-the-norm ideas they've done in the past.
    Clark Harbaugh

Boxes, tool handles, toys, puzzles, etc. I have grand kids, so there is always someplace for these to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Harbaugh View Post
    I've been stock piling scrap for years, and it's time I either do something with it or start getting rid of it. Scraps include Walnut, Maple, Sapele, Paduak, Jatoba, Zebrawood, Cherry, Wenge, Cocobolo, and several others. Some shorts, some long, and some are lefft over resaws (1/8" thick).
    There is no use for these so ship them to me and I'll dispose of them.

Before the wood stove or the landfill: Woodturners love pieces for pens, glue-ups, segmented turnings. A knife-maker will become your best friend when you bring a box of offcuts, especially of exotic woods. You could sell them on Etsy or Ebay - lots of crafty people out there.

Or my favorite repurposing target when I absolutely without a doubt can't procrastinate and definitely immediately have to move of some tubs of wood out of the shop NOW or I can't walk through anymore: give them to a local school art teacher. It is amazing what creative kids can do with even small pieces of wood. You might check, cutting them up into even smaller pieces might be helpful. One favorite is small pieces (maybe 4-8" square or rectangles) of smooth 1/2" radiata pine plywood with a smooth, light surface - fantastic as a canvas for artwork. I even took a bunch to a preschool class and the kids (and teacher) went wild. When my own grandson saw a stack of these in my shop he asked if he could draw on some and did this self portrait with a marker - he said there was lightning and fire coming from his hands and feet.

Alex_portrait_IMG_20150417_102011_473-1_e.jpg

Art departments in publick schools are always struggling for materials. I have taken wood, paper, plastic, wire, truckloads of styrofoam, and once a real prize: 10,000 small cardboard boxes made to store microfilm.

JKJ

I use scrap wood to make a variety of boxes. These make great gifts to family and friends.

Blog Entries
    Scrap boxes:

Bevy of Boxes (19).jpg

Scrap coasters (about 3" x 3"):

scrap coaster in holder (3).jpg

Scrap trivets (about 6" x 6"):

Scrap Trivet (11).jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler