Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's a decent air cleaner for my shop? 25x25x15

What's a decent air cleaner for my shop? 25x25x15

I really need to take sawdust a little more seriously, and I think it's time I upgrade my shop and install an air cleaner. My shop is 25x25x15, and I'm wondering what you all would recommend for an air cleaner?

Thanks!

I don't recommend the "woodworking" ambient air filters anymore since they aren't HEPA rated and miss a lot of the most dangerous particles though STumpy Nubs did add a Wynn cartridge filter to his Jet for better filtration. I recommend building your own with a final HEPA filter or using one or more HEPA air cleaners like the Honeywell 50250. The Honeywell moves about 1/3rd the air the most recommended Jet air cleaner does for a little more than 1/3rd the price. They are HEPA and have the benefit of you being able to distribute them in the shop. I plan to wire a circuit for them and use a timer switch (like for heat lamps in bathrooms) you can get them cheap with up to 6 or 8 hours to time so you can set them to run when you leave the shop just like most sold for woodworking.

I just see HEPA as being important and the manufactured ones for woodshops are not.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Mike,

I'm not clear whether you mean air cleaner or dust collector. The terminology matters because point source collection is the key to controlling dust and that is done with a dust collector hooked to the tool that is generating the dust. I feel that the following arrangements are a reasonable compromise for a smallish shop
    1. When I started out in a 2-car garage I used a 600 cfm portable DC unit with a large felt bag rated at 1 micron. Later, in a one-car garage I replaced that with a 1100 CFM unit, a Jet 1100VX with cannister I hook my DC to whatever tool I am using, one at a time, with quick-connects.
    2. In my larger shop I had an air cleaner hanging near the ceiling. This was rated to remove 1 micron particles. It had a remote control, three speeds, and a crude flow meter to show when the filter needs to be cleaned. It removed the smaller particles that remained suspended in the air. In my smaller one-car garage shop I do without an air cleaner but I still recommend one as a part of a dust control system.
    3 A shop vac connected to the router, chop saw, and hand tools. A shop vac hooked to a chop saw is very noisy and only partially effective. I built a plywood hood to enclose the chop saw, to limit the spread of dust. Since I don't think the vac removes fine dust, I recommend running the air cleaner with it as a backup. A shop vac with a HEPA air filter would be much better. I can hook up my shop vac to my random orbit sander (although it is inconvenient).
    4 I do really dusty jobs, like sanding, outdoors whenever possible and almost always wear a dust mask with a NIOSH N90 or N95 rating.

I had to empty the felt dust collection bag and the shop vac every few (6?) months. This was a chore. I could not empty them without significant amounts of dust billowing up around me. I did it outdoors, when a mild breeze is blowing. I wore a dust mask, goggles and a hat. I emptied them into double black plastic garbage bags. I have not needed to empty my Jet bag yet but it will be "dustless". I'll just throw the bag away.

Doug
    Last edited by Doug Hepler; 01-16-2017 at 10:24 AM.

I'm talking about an ambient air cleaner. I have a dust collector, and I intend to upgrade that as well, which will come in a separate thread pretty soon. I need something that deals with sawdust in the air, mainly generated during hand sanding. Believe it or not, I'm just now starting to wear a mask when I hand sand. I'm a good bit behind on safety, and I'm dedicated to getting up to snuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    I don't recommend the "woodworking" ambient air filters anymore since they aren't HEPA rated and miss a lot of the most dangerous particles though STumpy Nubs did add a Wynn cartridge filter to his Jet for better filtration. I recommend building your own with a final HEPA filter or using one or more HEPA air cleaners like the Honeywell 50250. The Honeywell moves about 1/3rd the air the most recommended Jet air cleaner does for a little more than 1/3rd the price. They are HEPA and have the benefit of you being able to distribute them in the shop. I plan to wire a circuit for them and use a timer switch (like for heat lamps in bathrooms) you can get them cheap with up to 6 or 8 hours to time so you can set them to run when you leave the shop just like most sold for woodworking.

I just see HEPA as being important and the manufactured ones for woodshops are not.
    Any pics of your setups?

I have a JDS ambient air filter in my shop. It is mounted near the ceiling next to a wall. I am thinking of putting another one on the other side of the shop. It is amazing how much dust the filters catch. If you really want to do a good job, I would use a woodworking ambient air filter to take most of the dust, then use a HEPA filter, like Van suggests. When I turn my JDS on high speed, it sure clears out my shop fast. Then after the big stuff is taken care of, the HEPA could get the fine stuff.

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Dowell View Post
    Any pics of your setups?
    I am in the process of designing the new shop so I don't have this up and running.

This is the air cleaner I am talking about:

http://www.honeywellstore.com/store/...r-purifier.htm

I have used several of these in the house over the years and they are very good. Amazon seems to be OOS at the moment but you can usually pick them up for $135-150 shipped.

I plan to use 4 for my 1100 sq ft shop and mount three off them at about 8 feet on 3 different walls either on shelves or on top of cabinets. I will have a 4th buit into a rolling cart that I can move near me when sanding etc.

I plan to wire the 3 wall units onto a circuit run by something like this:

https://www.zoro.com/intermatic-elec...0w/i/G1927256/

That will allow me to run them constantly when in the shop and leave them running for a specific time when I leave. This gives you all the functionality of the standard units except remote control which you could do if you liked but I feel unneeded since you don't turn them on and off a lot. 3 of them are equal in air movement to the oft-recommended Jet and cost only a little more and are true HEPA filters.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I made an air cleaner leveraging the Bill Pentz design. It works quite well and should be adaptable to a cylindrical filter of virtually any specification. I used a Wynn 2N230NANO filter which is rated Merv 15, not a HEPA rating. HEPA (High Efficiency Particulate Air filters) is typically a higher Merv rating (17-20) than my unit. One feature I added was a timer to allow leaving it on after I leave the shop knowing it will shut off. I leverage the same Nano filter (a pair of them) for my dust collection system.

While I like the mobile design it adds a degree of clutter to my small shop. I have been thinking about building it into (under) my layout table.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Adamsen View Post
    I made an air cleaner leveraging the Bill Pentz design. It works quite well and should be adaptable to a cylindrical filter of virtually any specification. I used a Wynn 2N230NANO filter which is rated Merv 15, not a HEPA rating. HEPA (High Efficiency Particulate Air filters) is typically a higher Merv rating (17-20) than my unit. One feature I added was a timer to allow leaving it on after I leave the shop knowing it will shut off. I leverage the same Nano filter (a pair of them) for my dust collection system.

While I like the mobile design it adds a degree of clutter to my small shop. I have been thinking about building it into (under) my layout table.
    Very nice, do you have a part number/source for the fan? I noticed you used the timer switch idea, how do you like it?

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Very nice, do you have a part number/source for the fan? I noticed you used the timer switch idea, how do you like it?
    The fan was a 8in Vortex VTX800 Fan, 747CFM. But any 8" fan of that ilk would do I'm sure. The switch. Sigh. I should have installed a single pole double throw switch that allowed "on" or "timer." I like the timer but I leave the unit on much of the time I'm in the shop and with the timer I have to go turn the knob whenever I remember.

Below is a photo of a SPDT switch I installed on my vacuum press to allow "run (continuous)" or "cycle" that might have been a preferred approach.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

The fan was a 8in Vortex VTX800 Fan, 747CFM. But any 8" fan of that ilk would do I'm sure. The switch. Sigh. I should have installed a single pole double throw switch that allowed "on" or "timer." I like the timer but I leave the unit on much of the time I'm in the shop and with the timer I have to go turn the knob whenever I remember.

Below is a photo of a SPDT switch I installed on my vacuum press to allow "run (continuous)" or "cycle" that might have been a preferred approach.
    That is a very cool fan that allows using a Wynn filter very easy.

The timer I linked to above allows for times or constant on, which may be useful for others, but you already have a solution.

I made a filter similar to Bill's in post #8, though haven't wired in a switch. I used a Wynn 9L300NANOEXT (though, I meant to order a filter closed one end...doh!) and a Hurricane 745CFM #736580 8" blower from Amazon for mine.

No pics, but looks just like the one on Bill Pentz's site.

Of course, as others have said - far better to capture at the source, but that's never 100% and my allergies aren't getting any better...

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Weaver View Post
    I made a filter similar to Bill's in post #8, though haven't wired in a switch. I used a Wynn 9L300NANOEXT (though, I meant to order a filter closed one end...doh!) and a Hurricane 745CFM #736580 8" blower from Amazon for mine.

No pics, but looks just like the one on Bill Pentz's site.

Of course, as others have said - far better to capture at the source, but that's never 100% and my allergies aren't getting any better...

-Mike

This idea seems to be a great way to go. Have either of you ever thought of hanging it from the ceiling, and blowing it down to push hot air lower to help with heating in the winter? Not sure it would work, or if it would reduce the designed function, but if it did, you would be getting twice the bang for the buck.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Blatter View Post
    Have either of you ever thought of hanging it from the ceiling ...
    That would make servicing problematic.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Blatter View Post
    This idea seems to be a great way to go. Have either of you ever thought of hanging it from the ceiling, and blowing it down to push hot air lower to help with heating in the winter? Not sure it would work, or if it would reduce the designed function, but if it did, you would be getting twice the bang for the buck.
    Mark,
    Thought about it for a while but decided against it for a few reasons...

Gravity works great and the blower merely sits/seals on the foam flange of the Wynn filter and the 8" elbow sits just fine on top of the blower.
    Besides, I can move it around should the desire strike me (I've been known to sand stuff in the garage from time to time...).

If I were to hang it from the ceiling, I'd have to actually assemble it into a unit and as Bill Adamsen said, servicing could be a chore... no matter what height ceiling one has.

Of course, your needs may differ from mine.

-Mike
    PS Nice shop Bill!