Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What's a decent air cleaner for my shop? 25x25x15

1. Quote Originally Posted by Mike Dowell View Post
    Any pics of your setups?
    I am in the process of designing the new shop so I don't have this up and running.

This is the air cleaner I am talking about:

http://www.honeywellstore.com/store/...r-purifier.htm

I have used several of these in the house over the years and they are very good. Amazon seems to be OOS at the moment but you can usually pick them up for $135-150 shipped.

I plan to use 4 for my 1100 sq ft shop and mount three off them at about 8 feet on 3 different walls either on shelves or on top of cabinets. I will have a 4th buit into a rolling cart that I can move near me when sanding etc.

I plan to wire the 3 wall units onto a circuit run by something like this:

https://www.zoro.com/intermatic-elec...0w/i/G1927256/

That will allow me to run them constantly when in the shop and leave them running for a specific time when I leave. This gives you all the functionality of the standard units except remote control which you could do if you liked but I feel unneeded since you don't turn them on and off a lot. 3 of them are equal in air movement to the oft-recommended Jet and cost only a little more and are true HEPA filters.

I have this Honeywell unit running in my living room and it is pretty loud, louder than a box fan on low and even louder on high. We run it on low all day very rarely run it on high. Good unit, can vacuum the filters monthly, seems to work for us.

I have made a air cleaner this week based on the Bill pentz design and these are my observations/suggestions

(1) I have decided build a frame similar to the one posted in the photograph by Bill Adamsen I believe this will make it less likely for the unit to fall over if knocked

(2) I am planning to put some form of grill over le out let for increased safety and a piece of ribbon attached to the mesh to give a visible sign the fan is on

(3) To clean the filter you could simply turn the fan upside down and use place the unit outside and run the fan
    Last edited by Brian Deakin; 01-24-2017 at 5:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Deakin View Post
    I have made a air cleaner this week based on the Bill pentz design and these are my observations/suggestions

(1) I have decided build a frame similar to the one posted in the photograph by Bill Adamsen I believe this will make it less likely for the unit to fall over if knocked

(2) I am planning to put some form of grill over le out let for increased safety and a piece of ribbon attached to the mesh to give a visible sign the fan is on

(3) To clean the filter you could simply turn the fan upside down and use place the unit outside and run the fan

Nifty idea for cleaning the filter. My fan came last week and I expect my filter from Wynn tomorrow.

An advantage of turning the fan upside down then running the unit outside to clean filter is ....

both sides of the filter are exposed to the same pressure

I have a JDS

Has anyone tried the replacement filters from Wynn for the "woodworking air cleaners" like the Jet?
    https://wynnenv.com/products-page/am...cing/122412vb/

Update: I just found their ratings:
    https://wynnenv.com/ambient-filters/

For the Jet inner filter it looks like:
    MERV 14 95% ASHRAE (99% at 5.0 microns, 91% at 1.0 microns)

I started to build on based on the Bill Pentz design as well, but I saw these replacement filters and wondered how they worked.
    Last edited by Patrick Lesher; 02-08-2017 at 11:09 PM.