Thread: 18 volt lithium battery for Porter Cable drill?

18 volt lithium battery for Porter Cable drill?

I bought a Porter Cable cordless drill a few years ago. It came with two 18 volt lithium batteries and a charger. It's been a great drill, but now the batteries are starting show their age, not running the drill as long as they used to. So I started looking around for replacements. Nothing at the local BORG other than a 20 volt lithium and some 18 volt NiCads.

So I look around on the internet, but have not been able to come up with anything. Any advice? The battery I have is a PC18LX type 3. Thanks Bob
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

Check out MTO Battery Rebuilders. They have rebuilt a few NiCad batteries for me and did a good job. The rebuilds were better than the originals.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

It looks like the 20 volt lithium MAY fit the in the drill. Do you think it would trash the motor? I used to have an 8n Ford tractor. converted everything from 6 to 12 volts except the starter motor. That starter really whipped the motor over. Still going strong when I sold it.

The truth is that all of the lithium batteries advertised as 20 volts are actually 18 volts nominal with a 20 volt initial voltage when they come off the charger. If the ones you found marked as 20v fit the tool you are good to go.

I think you're going to have to look for a compatible battery from a third party. I was in the factory shop today picking up my planer. I asked about PC 18v LI batteries and was told they quit making them. I ordered one from Chrome Battery.

If they fit and work that would be welcome news.

Chrome Battery lists it as out of stock. Has Porter Cable effectively made this drill obsolete? If so, I'm switching to Bosch.

Blog Entries
    I have the PC 18 volt lithium combo drill/impact driver. My son bought me a PC 18 volt big battery 3 years ago and I am glad he did. One of the original small batteries is almost dead coming off the charger, the other one is not far behind. Looks like 3rd party replacement batteries will be the only option.

Looks like many NI-CAD cells are available: eBay item# 291987219722 but LION are hard to find. Here is one DIY source: eBay item# 252660948659
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 01-19-2017 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Removed eBay links per TOS
    NOW you tell me...

Thanks, Ole. That's a little more involved than I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Check out MTO Battery Rebuilders. They have rebuilt a few NiCad batteries for me and did a good job. The rebuilds were better than the originals.
    My experience too, I think they rebuild NiCads with NiMH cells though not certain. The charger will work with either. You have to look at economics though, it might make better sense to buy new.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    My experience too, I think they rebuild NiCads with NiMH cells though not certain. The charger will work with either. You have to look at economics though, it might make better sense to buy new.
    Unfortunately, I think you're correct. As Christopher Schwartz indicated, the cordless drill, unless you're talking brace and bit, is the epitome of the throw away tool. Planned obsolesence at it's best!