Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dust collector upgrade

Dust collector upgrade

I'm going to be budgeting for an improvement of my dust collection. I currently have http://www.harborfreight.com/2-hp-in...tor-97869.html dust collector. My shop is 25x25, and the dust collector is piped into my Bandsaw and Table saw. I got a 6" edge sander, and have not yet piped that into the DC. At some point, I'd like to get a planer/jointer combo machine, which will need to be piped in.

What would be a logical upgrade to what I have now?

Mike, my shop is the same size and with a Shop Fox 1.5HP DC converted to two stage with a Super Dust Deputy and Wynn filter. While this is adequate for now, like you I've been looking at an upgrade. Most users on this forum seem to like either the ClearVue CV-1800 or the Oneida V-3000/5000 as the step up. Seem to be about even in terms of feedback that I've seen

I can tell you what NOT to do. Don't buy one of those short cyclone units like the Laguna. I made that mistake and regret it. It just doesn't separate very well and the filter gets clogged with fines too fast. I finally broke down and bought a Super Dust Deputy XL and put it in front of the Laguna. Now, I get a small amount of fines in the Laguna hopper and essentially nothing in the filter.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I'd suggest an Onieda V-3000 or V-5000 with metal ducting. But you didnt tell us how much you have to spend on this build... Thats pretty important with regards to what kind of system you can get.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    I'd suggest an Onieda V-3000 or V-5000 with metal ducting. But you didnt tell us how much you have to spend on this build... Thats pretty important with regards to what kind of system you can get.
    I don't really have anything to spend on it! HAHAHA! I'd like to spend as little as possible. If $1800 is what it will cost, then it is what it is. So, I guess I'll put $1800 as the ceiling.

Question, what difference will it make if I end up with a bigger shop one day? Same amount of tools, but a bigger shop, so longer ducting runs.

Mike, have a look on Bill Pentz' site for his Excel spreadsheet. Will allow you to calculate how much you would lose through longer duct runs, connectors and so on. Unless you are going to super size, I would think as the number of tools and drops is the same, should not be a significant issue

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Dowell View Post
    I don't really have anything to spend on it! HAHAHA! I'd like to spend as little as possible. If $1800 is what it will cost, then it is what it is. So, I guess I'll put $1800 as the ceiling.

Question, what difference will it make if I end up with a bigger shop one day? Same amount of tools, but a bigger shop, so longer ducting runs.
    Once you build it out in this shop, going up to a larger shop should just mean more straight pipe runs with bends where you need them and possibly felx hose as youll already have all the wyes, blastgates, reducers, etc that can be reused from your last shop build out.

There are big fixed costs only one of which is the filters. Big canister filters - and you will likely need 2 of them - run over $200 each including shipping. I guess you might score something on e-bay or craigslist. There are lots of cyclones that come up locally on Craigslist. I bought mine for a few hundred dollars ... then added fabricating a plenum, a dedicated VFD, the filters, ductwork, gates, sanding and painting, install time ... as you can guess it adds up. Some of that cost will be there regardless of whether you buy new or attempt to design yourself. And actually the duct design is very important. There were a lot of folks here on the Creek that provided valuable feedback that helped make the system not just functional but truly superb.

I would add that there are attributes that might not seem significant but are. Noise, which is a function primarily of fan blade type, is a big factor that you will have to live with for a long time. Another is maintenance. Make sure the cartridges can be easily removed, cleaned and returned to get you back into operation. Good luck with your project.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

With the addition of an edge sander, I think you need to make a step up in order to collect the fine dust. Bill Pentz gives some good guidelines for what you need.

I need to upgrade mine too, but I am looking at 25hp cyclones, bag houses, air locks and hoppers.

It's a vicious cycle

I may end up with a 25hp for the moulder, planer, slr and wide belt and a 10 or 15hp for everything else.

So, two air locks.....
    Last edited by Darcy Warner; 01-16-2017 at 8:00 PM.

If you can swing it I would consider the V-3000 to be the minimum of where you really want to be. Shipped it will be about $2200 with the remote. For not a whole lot more you can move to the 5hp version and likely never feel the need to upgrade. DC is about the least sexy thing in the shop to spend money on but do it right once and then you can forget about it.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Blog Entries
    I get it. Dust collectors can't cut or shape wood, so it is an investment that seems non-productive in a wood shop. Some very nice tools can be purchased for the cost of a properly sized cyclone dust collector system. So we want to spend as little as possible. While the obvious benefit is to keep sawdust from piling up ankle deep in the shop, the real, long term benefit is your health. You can't put a price tag on that. Sawdust that readily piles up on the floor isn't the issue, it is the very fine dust that hangs around in the air after you are done with an operation, whether it is sawing, planing, milling or sanding. Sawing, routing and sanding are the worst offenders as the particles are much smaller than the ones you generate while drilling, planing, or jointing. If you haven't already done so, spend some time on the BillPentz.com website. Specifically regarding the medical risk of small woodworking dust particles.
    http://www.billpentz.com/woodworking...ical_risks.cfm Just keep in mind that he started out with some serious respiratory problems, so his point of view is on the super-cautionary side. Also keep in mind that he calls ambient air cleaners (apart from the central diust collector) "dust blowers". Most here would disagree, particularly those with Dylos dust particle counters and ambient air cleaners. So you need to take everything there with a grain of dust.

Bottom line is that a good dust collection system is not cheap, but it is an investment in your health, with a side benefit of central chip collection.
    NOW you tell me...

Is noise an important consideration? My shop is about same size of yours, an attached garage so didnt want to pollute the house with two much noise. The Oneida V3000 is quiet compared to other cyclones, so I went with that and have no regrets. I had two others that were WAY louder. And the cyclone works great, filter hardly ever needs cleaning. Go with the larger drum....they fill fast.

Noise is a non-issue Robin.

@Van, it would appear that the v5000 is CHEAPER than the v3000?
    @Ole Anderson - you are 100% correct.

Noise is a non-issue Robin.

@Van, it would appear that the v5000 is CHEAPER than the v3000?
    @Ole Anderson - you are 100% correct.
    Check the accessories included with each package. IIRC the V-5000 doesnt come with everything you need in its "package" like the V-3000 does. Thats why it appears to be cheaper.