Thread: RDWorks Pen Up/Pen Down function

RDWorks Pen Up/Pen Down function

Just set up my laser and am trying to adjust the focus to cut a bit deeper into acrylic. Does anyone know the procedure for using this. I see a "Read" button, but how is it used? Do I enter read and then enter an amount to move or enter the "read dimension" + or - the amount I want to move?

Blog Entries
    OK, I'll send someone else to another site, again. Go to rdworkslab.com and download the English manual and then Read It!
    The Read button reads your settings out of the controller and the write sends what is in rdworks program in your computer back to the controller! Be careful with this or you will overwrite your settings.

Back to the original question, you would move the table up, either with the controller z button or manually. Depending on your machine.
    Btw, put machine in your signature! Might help us. To help you.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

You want to make sure the lens is at the proper focus distance then you would use a little more power to cut deeper. Raising and lowering the table will just take you out of focus and you will get a wider kerf and less cutting power.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Blog Entries
    true, I was not being specific enough..
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser

I am a forum member at RDWorks lab, read the manual, and feel the manual does not describe what I am asking. I do not see a Write option in my software (V 8.01.21) see the attached screenshot. I did note on one of Russ's videos (I think it was #86) that he adjusted the focus closer to the acrylic to get a clean flame polished edge. Since I am new at this, I am looking for an accurate way to manually adjust focus to specific heights from auto focus. Thanks.

It was a pretty basic question OP could have figured out on his own, adjusting focus is not rocket science. Getting where You want it might be close to it however. I would look fur the Up/Down manual focus procedure and forget Autofocus which I think your trying to set up.
    Last edited by Bill George; 01-17-2017 at 8:35 AM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Blog Entries
    Sorry, I use version 19 and I'd suggest you do the same (or version 18) as there are significant differences from 19 to 21 and 21 is still a beta version.
    Also version 21 files are not compatible with earlier versions. could be a problem.

This setting is under advanced in version 19 and as far as I can tell, pen does nothing. mine is left blank. Z is the axis for vertical (table up/down) in all the other settings. Now your laser might be wired different. it IS Chinese
    And sorry, I'm hesitant when it comes to read and write.
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser

I agree with Bill forget the auto focus and learn how to manual focus. Its just as quick once you know how and probably a more precise focus.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Thanks for the info. I am new to lasers (but I have built two cnc routers) and just want to do things the right way. If manually focusing is better practice I'll give it a try. The laser did come with the acrylic piece for manual focus. I have read the manual several times and watched a ton of videos... there is a lot to take in. I just don't want to make any stupid mistakes. I think I will try version 18 or 19.

Thanks!
    24 x 36 Home Built CNC Router
    26 x 14 Chinese laser 60 Watt
    Aspire, Mach 3, Corel X8, RDWorks 8
    https://www.stuartgraphics.com/