Thread: *sigh....* So, have an old Craftsman 20" planer, # 351.217450, can't find parts?

*sigh....* So, have an old Craftsman 20" planer, # 351.217450, can't find parts?

so, I have this old Craftsman 20" planer/molding machine, been sitting in my shop for years, came to us needing a cam repair for the roller height adjustment. . . so the other day the hubby starting trying to correct the problems with it, and although he was absolve to resolve the cam repair, a test board showed a problem with the rollers slipping. The top infeed roller would actually "hiccup" or stop spinning periodically, even though the cutter head kept rolling, so we are assuming there is a gear missing a tooth or two inside. Before tearing into it, we tried to search online for parts, and much to our dismay, every single site we visited said, "obsolete" on the majority of the parts. I tried sites such as Sears, ereplacement parts, etc, and kept coming up with a big zero. Any place I'm missing. . . anyone know of a source for things like gears? Of course, chains, bushings, etc we could probably come up with, but gears, yeah, not so easy. I just hate to toss this planer without trying a bit harder, so thought I'd throw my dilemma out there and see if anyone has any ideas?!? Thanks for your time, Christy Hicks

You have checked all the sources I would have. Just a note for others thinking about this I am pretty sure that is a 15" planer.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Go to OWWM.org

That is the Old Woodworking Machines website and they are into old and obsolete woodworking machines and will probably be able yo help you.
    CPeter

You could look up what company made the planer for Sears, and see if there are parts available through the manufacturer. Here's a link to an OEM chart.

http://vintagemachinery.org/craftsma...facturers.aspx

--Geoff

Google "Bronze gear tooth repair". What you have can be fixed if you can't find a new part.

Is this a 20" Parks rebranded Craftsman? There is a company that still supports the Parks planers. The information id on the OWWM site.
    CPeter

Think that planer was built by Foley Besaw.

Parts are still available from Belsaw.....

http://www.belsaw.com/

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Labadie View Post
    Parts are still available from Belsaw.....

http://www.belsaw.com/

Ed
    Yep go to there. I have a Sears 306.9142 planer and was able to get parts, including a new sprocket to slow the feed rate down. Pretty sure he had a guy make the sprocket for me brand new.

Teeth can be replaced on gears. I have had it done before. You need to find an older fellow that works at a welding/machine shop to repair it. the damaged teeth can be built up with by welding or brazing and then reground to shape.

I don't understand why people don't come back and check these threads. You're in a bind - you register for a forum and ask a question in desperation - the answers are given to help you out - but you don't come back to check the thread!!!

Rant off....
    Last edited by Matt Day; 01-20-2017 at 7:12 AM. Reason: Spelling