Thread: How to make this cut...safely?

How to make this cut...safely?

Hi All,

Any suggestions on how to safely make this cut? My blade height is about a 1/2 short of the desired depth. I considered making a few passes on my table saw and doing the rest with a chisel. Either way, I figured someone here would have a smart and safe way to do this. See attached pics

Thanks!

- Paul
    Attached Images Attached Images

What goes in the slot and how precise does it need to be? On first glance I would cut two kerfs with a band saw (or a hand saw) and chisel out the waste.

Blog Entries
    I would use a band saw to do that cut.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I would go as deep as possible with your table saw and cut the remaining portion with the band saw. In all honesty if you have a vise, even a good solid hand saw would finish another 1/2" cut in depth. I have a few from Mike Allen that would excel at that. Since you're making this from treated wood, I am guessing beauty isn't the main theme.

I would also use the band saw for that cut on that particular sized piece.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    I would finish it with my Disston D7 rip saw. It would be safe, quick and accurate.

Excellent - thanks guys! I don't know why I didn't consider the band saw. The table and chop saw got a lot of consideration and head scratching, but never the band saw. I guess I just needed another set of eyes on it.