Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Laser engraving business - good or bad idea?

Weather permitting I'm going to the woodworking show in Columbus next week. Epilog is supposed to be there and hopefully I can spend some time talking with their rep. Their website lists the closest dealer as being in New York and if they are willing I'll probably head up there in the spring for a hands-on demo. I like the idea of finding a local club, but not sure how to go about that. I've also been going thru the tutorials for vector drawing in Coreldraw and I don't think I'll have any issues with it. My ideas for the laser would be custom engraving, trophies, etc. I had a K-bar engraved at a local shop for a friend who was headed for Parris Island. That company has some really nice high end lasers, but I seriously doubt that they would work with me. Still it doesn't cost anything to ask. Few craft shows at least here have homemade items and because of that I think the shows are dying off. I've been invited to setup a duct cleaning booth at several of them for the past couple of years which is something that was unheard of a few years ago.

I'm leaning toward building my own cnc. Curious if anyone has done that and if so are there any kits or suppliers that you would recommend?

Ron

there is a CNC forum. You'll get more answers if you post your CNC questions there.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I'm assuming that there would have to be fume exhaust added, but is there any reason why you can't replace the router with a laser on a cnc?
    Last edited by Ron Hampe; 01-21-2017 at 6:16 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hampe View Post
    I'm assuming that there would have to be fume exhaust added, but is there any reason why you can't replace the router with a laser on a cnc?
    Unless you just want a 6 watt diode laser. A standard CO2 machine uses flying optics to get the 40 watt or whatever beam to the head.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Thank you!

Here's a plan that will cover any eventuality and not cost you the farm
    A $5000 20w fiber laser , a $5000 80w 600x900 glass tubed laser and a $10k cnc router 4'x8' , 3-5kw spindle , you can cut anything and engrave anything and carve anything

From cupboard doors to marking titanium hip joints
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Ron , We have just purchased our first machine. We spent most of our time researching what we could produce with it that would give a decent return on raw material costs primarily and how much machine time to generate x revenue. Its an add on to an existing business, our existing skill sets mean the learning curve for us is minimal. We have been working with vector software etc for the last 3 years.

Starting from a standing start will be a tough call especially if you are looking at producing online retail type products, lots of sellers squeezing margins trying to gain sales, not a good sign. We are already established with a core range of existing products and we are a 100% online business, the laser will not only add to our offering but will also add value to products we currently produce. From what you have said previously , you dont have that luxury. As a new online seller, it will take you a minimum of 6 months before the "market places" will allow you to sell enough product to make a difference.

Another important issue is what happens if it doesnt work out. If you buy a brand new "western" machine my opinion is its worth 50% of what you have just paid once the supplier has taken it out of its crate and connected it to your electricity supply (the good news is , it stays at 50% for a good few months so at least you have a bit of time to recoup the initial loss) If its a bog standard Chinese machine and you cant make it pay, its got the same value as a large paperweight.

It isnt my intention to try and dissuade you from your intended venture, but its tough out there and getting tougher (online) If I had a £1 for every engraved (insert your material here) picture of a dog cat baby etc that laser sales reps told me were the path to riches I would have at least £10 and probably an extremely expensive paper weight.

I wish you well.

FYI Rodne has been in the laser engraving business since the beginning of time. Look at his signature line. You have just purchased your first machine.
    Last edited by Bill George; 01-22-2017 at 7:50 PM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    FYI Rodne has been in the laser engraving business since the beginning of time. Look at his signature line. You have just purchased your first machine.
    FYI the post was directed at the op Ron Hampe not Rodne Gold. But thanks for the heads up George.

Ron,

There is no substitute to spending the time reading our Laser Engraving archives...every single page. We have some of the most incredibly talented people in the industry here and they have been very generous sharing their expertise over the years. Some of them are still active here, some are long gone and some are to busy to respond to requests for information that they have already shared.

If you really want to make an informed decision spend the time and do the research. There is good advice in this thread and much more available to you if you are willing to wade through a mountain range of information.

That is much like asking, opening a restaurant - good or bad idea? There are so many variables that come into play that make any business venture a success or failure. Good planning will increase the odds of your success or convey that your idea is simply the wrong one for your market. You can have an excellent drawn out plan and still fail based on factors that were overprojected in that plan.

Do your homework. Use local economic development resources to help evaluate your market and develop your plan. Determine how you are going to differentiate your business from the thousands of other laser owners out there. If you are one more laser owner in the long list and don't have a unique selling proposition, the only thing that will differentiate you is price. Those who try to win at the pricing game are very busy generating gross sales, yet will have no income to show for all that work, and will eventually have their equipment up for sale.
    -
    David Takes
    Expressions Engraved
    St. Joseph, MO