Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanted: Best bang for the buck Heavy Duty Rounded End Scraper

Wanted: Best bang for the buck Heavy Duty Rounded End Scraper

I have actually begun to use a scraper in certain situations, and have good success with it. Unfortunately, all I have is fairly light duty scrapers. The one I use the most is the round end scraper in the 8 piece Pinnacle set.
    But I'm thinking I want something beefier; IE thicker and wider that I can grind to my satisfaction. I got a look at a few, and WOW! at the prices... Over $100 for many of them.

Do any of you have recommendations on a beefy round end scraper that won't break the bank?
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

I have been very happy with the "Hurricane" brand. Here's a link, I've been using this particular scraper and it works great for me.(no affiliation, just a happy user)
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Last edited by Steve Speiser; 01-16-2017 at 9:03 PM.

Jim, I have one of these - bought years ago - and still love it! Can't beat the price!

Round Nose Scraper
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I had the BB that Steve Schlumpf referenced and it is a monster scraper. Truly the best bang for the buck. I ended up selling mine only because it just wasn't being used in the type of work I do. But, if I was looking to buy a heavy duty scraper, I would get that one!

What are you going to be using it for? Heavy roughing? Light cuts and roughing? Shear scraping? NRS (negative rake scraper)?

robo hippy

I bought a set of 3 Hurricane round nose scrapers for around $60-70 on Amazon and am happy with them. Benjamin's best also looks like a very good tool and price. So, you probably can't go wrong with either one.

I like having three different sizes. I have also made a narrower scraper to be able to get into smaller spaces.

We've had some Benjamin's Best gouges at our club that we're not tempered past 25% of th the flute. Don't know about the scrapers. If you only use the scraper occasionally the BB Should do.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

That Benjamin's Best scraper is hard to beat. Had mine a long time and I would get another if I lost it!
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

I don't have the Hurricane or BB scrapers, but have other tools (BB bowl gouges and Hurricane roughing gouge) by them. When I compare those like tools to the Thompson tools, Thompson is much better IMO. I ended up buying two Thompson 1" scrapers. I have one ground around on the right side the other ground around on the left side. A joy to use, just like the other Thompson tools I have. If it is a tool that I will use a lot I've decided to save and buy a name brand such as Thompson, D-Way Hamlet, Sorby, Crown and a few others.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

If you don't want made in china and don't want to spend alot, look at the Packard Woodworks house brand. I have a lot of Packard tools. They are very good quaility. Steel is real UK M2 and the handles nicely finished. I think Hamlet tools makes the Packard house brand. i also have Thompson but that is more money. Packard makes both 3/8 and 1/2 thick scrapers. Also the Thompson scrapers are normally not that thick because of the cost and availability of thicker material.
    Last edited by Randall Mack; 01-17-2017 at 8:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sid Matheny View Post
    That Benjamin's Best scraper is hard to beat. Had mine a long time and I would get another if I lost it!
    +1 on the BB scrapers. I bought a couple of the smaller ones too. Turned one into a negative rake scraper as an experiment. Never looked back.
    The older I get the better I was.
    Member Valley Woodturners, Ottawa

Not sure, like Robo, just what you are planning to do with it. I am looking to add a tool or two as well and think for the type of work I do that Jimmy Clews new Mate tools will do everything I need. Agreed it is not a scraper but will apparently finish cut like a charm.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Jim,

Do you have any any other flat tools you could grind into a scraper, such as a large unused skew chisel? I ground these from Thompson steel, one was a spare 3/4" skew:

scrapers_neg_rake.jpg

JKJ

I'm with Robo on this. I think it does matter what you're doing. I also have the BB scrapers, and they are great AND cheap. Also have the 1" Thompson. That is a really good scraper but not cheap. Also have a monster Sorby 1.5" and that is also really nice for heavy stuff. And since it is very heavy, I also use it at times for delicate stuff in the bottom of bowls. It depends on what you're doing. Any of those should do well.