Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wanted: Best bang for the buck Heavy Duty Rounded End Scraper

One of my favorites is from Doug Thompson and is one of his standards. 1 inch wide and 5/16 thick. Not too big, not too little. For 1 1/4 wide, I would want 3/8 thick. I have no use for any over that size, as it is more cutting edge than any one should be presenting to the wood... I can stall my Robust with the 1 inch wide scraper. It is also a fairly good one for a NRS, though with them, you can go thinner.

robo hippy

Hey guys, thanks for taking the time to answer my question. I'll be looking into the Benjamin's Best and Hurricane. Which one I get might just depend on what else I can combine it with on Amazon. The wife wants me to spend her gift card so she can have cash....

Oh, and I will probably use this on plates and bowls. Just needed something that wouldn't vibrate so much when smoothing out my gouge's bumbly spots out on the rims...
    Last edited by Jim Underwood; 01-18-2017 at 11:37 AM.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Underwood View Post
    Oh, and I will probably use this on plates and bowls. Just needed something that wouldn't vibrate so much when smoothing out my gouge's bumbly spots out on the rims...
    Jim, the big negative-rake scrapers are perfect for that. You can grind them a variety of ways but the grind I pictured was the one Glenn Lucas showed us. BTW, I don't use the burr from the grinder but prefer to raise an edge with a swipe from a burnishing rod - I think it lasts longer.

For something completely different, I generally use these hand-held curved cabinet scrapers on the "bumbly" spots (great term!) on bowls and platters, inside and out, especially on wings and any ripples on near the bottom. Sometimes with the lathe running, sometimes with it off scraping across the ripples and with the grain. No vibration even when used with the lathe running since they are held very close to the wood and are somewhat flexible.

scraper_PB054025_s.jpg scrapers_.jpg

The first one I used was as an experiment on the inside of my 2nd or 3rd bowl to deal with some fine heat checking from novice sanding technique. I cut it from a larger curved scraper with a Dremel. It worked so well I found more and use them quite a bit instead of power sanding.

JKJ

While I think many of them will do a fine job I ended up with the HD Packard brand scraper at a whopping 3/8" thickness. I went from the premise of extra thickness equaled extra mass and therefore greater stability. Anyways...right or wrong that was the logic and the price is right.

http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merc...pkrd-hdrndscpr