Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Block plane epiphany

Another thumbs up for "newer" Stanley block planes. Here's a G12-020 I picked up from a garage sale. The iron needed a bit of work, but the sole was flat and has become a favorite. I guess one disclaimer is that the gentleman I bought it from was a woodworker...so who knows what fettling he may have done.

IMG_0352.jpg

That is the plane I was looking for but all stock is now sold and Stanley South Africa are not interested in restocking. The 12-020 is a 9-1/2 with the adjustable mouth and has been a better plane throughout. These planes are sourced from different factories and one model often has nothing to do with another.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    The modern Stanley Block Planes seem to be getting a severe wrap on the knuckles on this forum of late over their quality control, so I thought it an opportune time to forward my own experience. The block plane I am using on a regular basis was purchased about 5 years ago. It the 050 model, made in the UK, and is the equivalent of the earlier USA # 60 model. Apart from maintaining a sharp cutting edge on the blade, I have never felt the need to check the sole for flatness. In other words its been near enough within tolerance by the manufacturer not to require further work.
    Stewie;
    I've had a similar experience. i bought a Stanley block plane a while back to serve as a lower-cost complement to my "good" block planes, and it was reasonably manufactured. The sole wasn't LV-flat, but as Stewie points out that isn't all that hard to fix. The adjuster is a bit clunky and rough-feeling, but gets the job done. Overall not as horrible as you'll often see described.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Olexa View Post
    Block p-lanes in general are an amazingly useful too lfor very little investment....
    I have a vintage Stanley, a LN Rabbiting block plane, and a Veritas Apron plane that live on the top of my bench. Very useful indeed!

So as planned, I obtained a DX60 First impressions are very positive. The PM-V11 blade takes on a hairpopping edge easily and the plane takes the thinnest of shavings without any fettling. I tried the plane on some Panga Panga I had and the edge crumbled in 10 hard strokes. In soft wood it has been very resilient suggesting that the steel is a touch on the brittle side but very hard. Also, as this was the first sharpening, thiese maybe observations of the surface material. Though I don't anticipate much difference in the blade section.

I purchased the plane from axminster tools in UK and had nothing but great service. They shipped the plane quickly and for a very good price. VAT was also subtracted on the UK side to prevent double charges and was never charged on this side. So I got the plane for a sweet price too.

P.S. As Jim suggested, the low angle plane on endgrain is just another dimension I can take curly shavings on my wild Olive endgrain
    Last edited by Sergey Petrov; 02-09-2017 at 11:53 AM.

Who knows Sergey - sometimes you get to better steel after two or three sharpenings. Sounds like it eats end grain.
    David