Thread: Need help finding a nut for my Delta shaper power switch

Need help finding a nut for my Delta shaper power switch

I have tried multiple times and sources to try and find a replacement nut to the switch box on my Delta shaper. It's like the nut on a toggle switch. Approximately, 1/2" wide and a bit over a 1/16" deep with an inner threaded diameter of .465 (close to 15/32"). I've tried ebay, several electrical houses here in town, the big box hardware stores in town. I've included some pics.

IMG_3916.jpgIMG_3918.jpgIMG_3921.jpg

The toggle switch and threaded "post" comes thru the hole to the left from behind. The on/off plate goes over the threaded post and the nut threads down to tighten the switch box in place. I stripped the threads on the nut.

I know someone knows where to get one of these nuts. Thoughts? Thanks!

PS If I'm making too many stupid posts on here someone let me know. :-\

I would have just gone to hardware store and bought a new toggle switch. While you're there, you could always browse the nuts and bolts section first before splurging.....what..... a couple bucks? .....three....four maybe?......on a new switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Orbine View Post
    I would have just gone to hardware store and bought a new toggle switch. While you're there, you could always browse the nuts and bolts section first before splurging.....what..... a couple bucks? .....three....four maybe?......on a new switch.
    Bill,
    I've never done anything with electrical systems. I already thought of that and was trying to avoid it. I may have no other choice in the end. Twice, I actually ordered toggle switches from China off ebay and neither one ever arrived. I'm thinking the woodworking gods might have been trying to send me a message! ;-)
    Mike

is it a steel hex panel nut? https://www.mcmaster.com/#electrical...-nuts/=15yg9jw

I agree that buying a new switch for a couple bucks would be fast and easy. If the ordinary sizes of nuts for electrical fittings don't fit I'd guess the threads are munged-- there's no way they used a non-standard part.

Alright. You guys have convinced me. Gonna look at switching out the toggle switch in the switch box. That's gonna be the quickest and probably ultimately the cheapest fix. No idea which of the nuts from McMasters will work. Thanks.

Someone mentioned their lack of expertise with electrical stuff- SO this is how I do stuff like that. TAKE pics of the old one including the wire location. Disasemble enough to take to hardware store. Fine some old timer and ask for help. Do not leave store til you understand how it all goes. Before paying ask about their return policy. That is how I do it. ACE IS THE PLACE

Blog Entries
    Those nuts are pretty standard on toggle switches. I would bet that any electrical supply house would have a spare nut or two. If I still had access to my father's collection of miscellaneous parts, I could give you several. They are also commonly used on boats. Toggle switch
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Mike,

Don't change out the toggle switch if there is nothing wrong with it. Just buy one for a couple of bucks and take the nut off the new switch and replace your damaged one.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Those nuts are pretty standard on toggle switches. I would bet that any electrical supply house would have a spare nut or two. If I still had access to my father's collection of miscellaneous parts, I could give you several. They are also commonly used on boats. Toggle switch
    Lee,
    That's kind of exactly what I thought and why I ordered twice off ebay. I guess I should have learned my lesson the first time. Of course, after buying a toggle switch I'm gonna check to see if that nut works before changing out the toggle switch!

Anne,
    Thanks. I love Ace Hardware. After looking at the current toggle switch setup you can bet I'll try to get clarification at the store before I leave if needed.

Mike

Mike,

Don't bother measuring the inside of the nut, measure the outside of the threads on the toggle switch. Makes it much easier to identify what the thread is as it's based off the male thread. It should measure a few thousandths smaller than what the actual thread is, so a .250 bolt will measure about .246". For the most part. Might be lucky and have it a standard 1/2" bolt with either 13 or 20 threads per inch depending on fine or course. Just guessing, but I'd say fine threads on a thin nut. If you can get a .250-20 (very standard) bolt and have the threads match up with the same spacing as this you'll know it's 20 threads per inch. From there it's easy to find something on McMasterCarr. And then you'll have 99 extra nuts you can figure something out to do with.