Thread: Not a Bar Top but Close ... Best Finish?

Not a Bar Top but Close ... Best Finish?

Just read Andrew's question about "best bar top finish" and it prompted this question (didn't want to hijack that thread).

I just finished a cherry top for a laundry room where the client (my wife) wanted a folding platform atop the side-by-side washer/dryer. I built the cabinets some time ago and had originally planned to use painted MDO which seemed like a reasonable, fast and simple solution. It was suggested to me that "wouldn't a top like that table you just made be nicer?"

So dummy me agreed and now months later I just made the top. Long story short, as I was looking at the finished product I started thinking, "man there is going to be a lot of heat and humidity in that area, wonder what finish will work?"

Epoxy (one of my frequently used products) is likely out, because it would defeat the breadboard end function. I was thinking conversion varnish which is what Mike Dowell suggested in that thread. But maybe there are other solutions that I haven't considered. Should I be considering removing the bb ends and replacing once finished?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

People seem to go over the deep end when thinking about wood finishes in bath and laundry rooms. My bath and laundry rooms are no more hot or humid than the rest of of my house. OK, maybe for a few minutes every now and then but not consistently. My choice of potential finishes wouldn't be driven by moisture resistance near as much as it would chemical resistance. A laundry room in particular is where bleach, ammonia?, and certainly cleaners and detergents are used. Those can do nasty things to finishes, and I would choose a finish designed to stand up to them as my #1 priority. Conversion varnish.

Having just seen the finish on a breadboard end on a dining table crack at the joint to the field of the table I would finish the breadboards separately, if possible.

John

2 pack polyurethane is the best. Use it straight with no special sealers or anything. The breadboard ends? My personal view is that they are unnecessary but since you have them, it's better to polish them separately. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    A laundry room in particular is where bleach, ammonia?, and certainly cleaners and detergents are used. Those can do nasty things to finishes, and I would choose a finish designed to stand up to them as my #1 priority. Conversion varnish. John
    Thanks John - allays my fears and confirms my initial thoughts! Did you notice the square holes? (ouch - just kidding)
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius