Thread: Another just curious

Blog Entries

Another just curious

When honing edges I use mdf charged with green honing compound. Prior to this, I used leather on a board charged with green honing compound.

What do you use?

Blog Entries
    Leather and green.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

For hand use, there is a plywood covered with paper used for painted signs and Lee Valley's green compound. I think it's chromium oxide.

Blog Entries
    Various pieces of leather and green compound from a lapidary supply store.

Usually the leather is supported on my drill press table for flat edges. For shaped edges various pieces of shaped wood are used with a flexible piece of leather to match the shape of the blade.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I use rock maple flattened via a smoother and verified via certified straight edge.
    Then rubbed with green compound and a dab or three of half micron diamond dust.

So far it's lasted over a year with just a little refresh of green compound.

I've also created one with white compound and it is used after the green compound hone.

Then if I'm crazy ( often are...hoot!) I use some newspaper for final very lite polishing.

Works great.

Enjoy the shavings

Blog Entries
    I use a piece of wood with leather on one side. Both sides are charged with the green.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Leather and green and maple and green, and an old belt.
    Paul

Leather stuck to a board, no compound.

Horse butt scraps taped to a beech block. Chromium oxide on one, nothing on another. A piece of hard maple with some croxide also. Personally I prefer the maple best but for no good reason. It just feels the best. Don't go by me.

I use Rolls Royce seat leather offcuts stretch glued to planed flat quarter sawn maple that I keep in a temperature & humidity controlled cabinet with some green stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by William Fretwell View Post
    I use Rolls Royce seat leather offcuts stretch glued to planed flat quarter sawn maple that I keep in a temperature & humidity controlled cabinet with some green stuff.
    And I thought I was the only one....
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I forgot to note, all my strops are anchored to my bench, facing magnetic north-south (I realign them regularly) to keep the bits of leather standing true.

Dont laugh. It works.

Ok ok laugh a little.
    Paul

13. Leather and white compound. A bit more coarse that the green, buy rarely do I have to use stones to maintain an edge on all my tools. Easier to stay sharp that to get sharp!