Thread: Festool ETS 150/3 - go with the brushless?

Festool ETS 150/3 - go with the brushless?

I'm getting ready to buy a ROS and have decided to pull the trigger on a festool ETS 150/3. What is the benefit of going brushless and is it worth the extra $125? TIA.
    Sincerely, Dave.
    Last edited by david mcintyre; 01-18-2017 at 8:54 AM.

As far as I can tell, the primary benefit of the brushless is that it weighs considerably less than the conventional one. If you do a lot of sanding on vertical surfaces that might be a good thing. But if you do most of your sanding on horizontal parts, the lower weight isn't too good. The higher weight of the conventional sander helps push the sandpaper into the wood.

I very much like the 150/3. I've been using it for about a year or so. The effective dust collection and the auto-start vacuum feature are big plusses. The sanding action is really superb. The selection of pad hardness and polishing (yes I occasionally choose it over the Rotex to polish) pads makes it quite versatile. Sorry, I don't have experience with their other sanders (besides the Rotex) to provide a comparison for your specific question.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

The biggest benefit is ergonomics, the low profile and light weight make them a pleasure to use for long periods plus the brushless motor should last much longer and use less electricity. It also has more power. While I prefer the Mirka brushless sanders (they are even smaller in the hand) the Festool ETS EC is the only other ROS I would consider, but then the Mirka is even more expensive.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Very happy Festool Brushless user here.

Can anyone tell me with the Mirka, do you have to have the paddle down all the time for the sander to work...or is there a way to lock it on and take you hand off the paddle. The reason I ask is sometimes I reach across a wide project holding the sander by the hose and was wondering if you could do that with the Mirka.

I have the regular ETS 150, which wasn't cheap. The $125 premium for the new model wouldn't be worth it to me.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Frierson View Post
    Can anyone tell me with the Mirka, do you have to have the paddle down all the time for the sander to work...or is there a way to lock it on and take you hand off the paddle. The reason I ask is sometimes I reach across a wide project holding the sander by the hose and was wondering if you could do that with the Mirka.
    No, but blue tape is your friend. It works just like an air sander.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Less vibration, smaller size, less weight, more powerful motor, more efficient. All around better sander than it's older sister. So yes, it's worth the extra bucks.

Go with the brushless (EC). Ive got one and its a super nice sander with the improvements/benefits everyone has already listed.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Thanks everyone. Dave.