Thread: Pre-wire question for future upgrade of DC

Pre-wire question for future upgrade of DC

I'm walling in my shop and have plans to upgrade my DC from the current Delta 1.5hp to something I can locate in an adjacent room for noise and space purposes. I'm not in a position to make the investment in the DC yet but want to get a wire pulled while I'm wiring the whole shop. I realize the answer will be "depends on what DC I get" but without knowing that yet, can I determine the wire size? In some brief reading here I'm guessing I'll consider something along the lines of the Clearvue 1800. However I don't see electrical specs on their website.
    My shop is single phase. Would a 10-2 (w/ ground) wire cover the majority of DCs in the CV1800 class or do I need to go bigger? And do I need to go to a 3 wire (as opposed to 2)?

Blog Entries
    10-2 wg (30 amp circuit) will be fine for up to 5 hp dust collectors.
    NOW you tell me...

As Ole said, 10/2 would be fine, 12/2 may be as well since a high quality 3 HP motor is 13 amperes or less.

I used 3 conductor only because my starter had a 120V coil, however yours won't............Regards, Rod.

Put in 10-2 w/ground and you're pretty much covered for anything up to a 5hp cyclone system.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I would run a 10/3 with ground on the off chance you'll need a neutral leg. As technology changes that extra leg may become necessary. Your future DC motor may run on 240V but the circuitry to run it may only be 120V. I've noticed electrical code trends/requirements are to get a neutral leg to the appliance. Ranges, dryers, heat pump water heaters and dryers come immediately to mind. I realize those are household appliances but point is things change. Better to have the extra wire and not need it than vise versa...IMHO.

I tend to agree with Tim, if the idea is to future proof (which we all know is a farce, just look at all the low voltage wiring in smart houses that is already outdated) I would run 10-3. That said I don't see any current or on the horizon need for it but wire is cheap.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    I tend to agree with Tim, if the idea is to future proof (which we all know is a farce, just look at all the low voltage wiring in smart houses that is already outdated) I would run 10-3. That said I don't see any current or on the horizon need for it but wire is cheap.
    Thanks to all. I think I have a length of 10-3 wire that will cover the distance so I'll put that in for now. Makes sense to have the 3rd wire there and not use it instead of having 2 and wishing for a third.
    Last edited by Matt Putnam; 01-18-2017 at 9:51 PM.