Thread: Miter Saw Blade

Miter Saw Blade

Another recommendation question. Any preferences out there for miter saw blades? I have a 12 inch miter saw. I'm really wondering if the extra $50 to $75 is worth it for the Forrest Chopmaster over an 80 to 100 tooth Diablo or Dewalt. Thanks in advance.

I am a fan of Everlast.
    I have never liked any Forrest blades.

I've run the Forrest ChopMaster for years...great blade.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'm currently using 10" and 12" CMT blades. Have a Chopmaster, an old Freud and an old Systematic that need sharpening. I've been happy with all of them. Some of the newer Freud blades (I've tried 2 different ones) have left me underwhelmed. More run out than the others mentioned above.

What are you cutting? It makes a lot of difference what blade I put on if I am rough cutting stock to length or cutting miters in small trim.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I am sure the Forrest is nice. I have used a similar blade from Freud - 12", 96T (LU85RO12) since 2006. Blade has performed well cutting household trim, pre-finished 3/4" wood flooring, rough lumber and furniture parts. Over the years I have had it sharpened a couple of times.

I have a forrest and a dewalt blade for my dewalt slider. I see somewhat less chipout and feathers with the forrest on fine work; most times I don't bother to back up the cut when using that blade. The dewalt blade gives just a little rougher cut on most materials. OTOH, the dewalt seems to stay sharp longer.

I tend to leave the dewalt blade on there most of the time as I do a fair amount of carpentry work and cut OSB, MDO, and MDF with it; those materials will dull the forrest quickly. I put the forrest on when I need finish quality cut in chipout prone material.

This is what I use: Freud LU74R012 12-Inch 96-Tooth ATB Thin-Kerf Cut-Off Saw Blade with 1-Inch Arbor and PermaShield Coating

I have a DW716XPS and the combination works very well together. At $93, I think it's a pretty good deal too.

FYI - Diablo blades are considered "construction grade" and aren't up to woodworking standards.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

One of my saws has a Avanti (by Freud, not HD) 96 tooth thin kerf which has exceeded all my expectations over the years. Lowes is currently clearancing the two pack of Hitachi 12 " blades for $24.99. One blade is a 96 tooth and the other a forty tooth, if memory serves me correct. I have a Hitachi on my other 12" MS. Check and see what Cripe distributing is offering.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Hagerty View Post
    This is what I use: Freud LU74R012 12-Inch 96-Tooth ATB Thin-Kerf Cut-Off Saw Blade with 1-Inch Arbor and PermaShield Coating

I have a DW716XPS and the combination works very well together. At $93, I think it's a pretty good deal too.

FYI - Diablo blades are considered "construction grade" and aren't up to woodworking standards.
    i would not agree at all diablo blades are perfectly fine blades they just have tiny amounts of carbide compared to blades 2x the price i thought it would be not great but the 96 tooth one i have is great only "cheap" blade i own.

I use and highly recommend the 12" Tenryu Miter Pro 80 tooth with ATAFR grind, 1" arbor. It's an interesting tooth pattern, alternating tops and faces with a flat tooth raker in between. It produces very smooth cuts in trim and molding and general miter work. It was not a cheap blade, I think it ran me around $120 but I feel it is worth every penny. I think it would be about $30 or $40 less than the Forrest Chopmaster. There are some reputable sellers on Ebay that offer Tenryu blades.

Ran the Forrest ChopMaster in a DeWalt DWS780 and now a Bosch GCM12SD and cant imagine going back to anything else.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Thanks to all. Some great info.

Blog Entries
    I've had good luck with Tenyru blades.

For a 12" blade it's best to go with something wider than the typical 3/32" thin kerf to prevent flexing. For lowest tearout, look to a Hi-ATB grind. If you're looking more for durability than cut quality, look to a triple chip grind (TCG). Freud, CMT, Tenryu, Infinity, Ridge Carbide all have excellent examples for reasonable price. Best bang for the buck is probably Oshlun.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....