Thread: Tiny hairs appearing in polycrylic finish, despite new brush, undisturbed shop, etc.

Tiny hairs appearing in polycrylic finish, despite new brush, undisturbed shop, etc.

I've built a bookcase for my wife; she wanted it painted, not stained, with a particular color of white that she had used on a previous bookcase. Semi-gloss latex; went on fine, no problems. I've read that for furniture that will have items placed on it, latex can be a bit soft; and so I decided to put a clear coat on top of the paint.

I've used polyurethane, both oil and water based, in the past with no problems. But this time, using the Polycrylic product made by Mini-Wax, every time I attempt to apply a coat, immediately - within the first few brush strokes - I can see very short, very small hairs showing up in where I've laid the poly down. It's maybe 2 or 3 small hairs for each square foot; they are all extremely short, no long hairs. I've tried brand new foam brushes and two new synthetic brushes; even went and bought a second can of Polycrylic just in case the first can had somehow been contaminated. I'm not wearing fuzzy clothing, just a white t-shirt and old chino pants. The hairs are definitely not from me and they aren't brush hairs. The painted surface has been wiped clean with a brand-new tacky cloth each time, and that cloth has no hair on it. I use a brand new clean container to put the polycrylic in each time.

I have not done any sawing or woodworking in the shop area for a couple of weeks now. The two coats of latex paint did not have this hair problem and neither did the primer coat. I sand in between coats as needed, and always take care to vacuum all the dust off, then use a tacky cloth; as a result there isn't any problem with dust; it's just these very fine, short hairs. Just for kicks I brushed the polycrylic onto several sheets of paper; I saw maybe 2 small hairs, but not nearly as many as I occur when brushing onto the paint. I don't know if that demonstrates anything.

At this point I'm ready to give up on the idea of a clear coat & just go with a last coat of the latex paint (after I sand down the second of the aborted polycrylic coats again); my wife says she won't mind. But it bothers me that I can't figure out a source. The only thing I can figure is, the workshop has baseboard electric heat, which cycles on and off; so I suppose it is possible the heat drives small air currents, and perhaps small hairs float more easily than dust?

I can see three options here:

1) Go with just the latex paint. It does not seem a particularly soft brand to me once it dries (even before fully curing).
    2) Move the bookcase to an open bay in our garage, a completely different space and try again with poly from the uncontaminated can. This space wouldn't be dust free either, as old furniture & house hold items are stored in the other bay; but there is no baseboard heat to drive air currents; the space is cooler but not too cool for a thin finish to dry.
    3) Try a different poly, perhaps an ordinary water-based polyurethane from Mini-Wax, to see if somehow it doesn't have this problem. My guess is this would be a waste of money, as I don't imagine the problem is really with the Polycrylic.
    Last edited by Randy Burgess; 01-18-2017 at 1:49 PM.

Can you post pictures?

My first instinct is that it's cracks in the paint caused by putting a fast drying hard finish over a softer one that has not cured.

Check the Lot numbers on your cans of poly, perhaps they had a bad run. If the hairs are still showing on another surface, then the problem is not with the latex.

If you saw hairs brushing the polycrylic onto paper then it must not have anything to do with the paint. I would strain the polycrylic through a fine filter. And I would advise you not to use a tack cloth, they are for OB products, not WB. Vacuum and wipe with a damp paper towel or microfiber cloth.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    If you saw hairs brushing the polycrylic onto paper then it must not have anything to do with the paint. I would strain the polycrylic through a fine filter.
    I tried this, but maybe not in the best way: I have some store-bought rags (recycled scraps from T-shirts etc) that tend to be very reliable for not shedding bits of cotton; and they seem fine that way. I used one as a strainer - slow, but it worked enough to get a sample of strained Polycrylic. Unfortunately it didn't help. Didn't make it worse either. The same very small hairs (which are all a brown or black color, not the color of the white rag) still showed up.

I could try again with maybe a metal strainer - any fine strainer for meant for the kitchen would probably work - but I'm dubious it would help given that the white rag should certainly have caught the hairs I'm seeing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hulbert View Post
    Check the Lot numbers on your cans of poly, perhaps they had a bad run. If the hairs are still showing on another surface, then the problem is not with the latex.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not at the workshop right now but I'll check. The two cans came from two different stores (Home Depot vs. Lowes) and about 3 weeks apart; but I'll look anyway. Thing is, when I look at the poly in a cup after I pour it out of the can, I don't see hairs as such. A few very small bubbles, as you might expect, but nothing dark floating near the top.

If I don't find the cans are from the same lot, I still won't have a real answer as to why this is occurring when I have zero problem with hairs with the latex paint. Granted latex is fairly thick and might coat the hairs so they don't appear brown or black; but even then, you'd think I'd still be able to see the shape of it when the paint is applied thinly. Nothing like that has shown up ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    My first instinct is that it's cracks in the paint caused by putting a fast drying hard finish over a softer one that has not cured.
    It's definitely not this. If I act fast before the Polycrylic sets, I can remove the hairs from the surface of the paint; they are definitely hairs. The paint itself is not at all softened or otherwise affected by the Polycrylic.

Well, how many choices are there? The hairs are either coming from you, the Polycrylic, the brush, the substrate, or falling into the wet finish. You've tried two different brushes, two different subtrates, and strained the finish, with no improvement. That leaves you or stuff falling as the two remaining possibilities, plus any I haven't thought of.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Well, how many choices are there? The hairs are either coming from you, the Polycrylic, the brush, the substrate, or falling into the wet finish. You've tried two different brushes, two different subtrates, and strained the finish, with no improvement. That leaves you or stuff falling as the two remaining possibilities, plus any I haven't thought of.
    Since I don't want to hold the bookcase project up, I will just finish that with the latex paint; that will be fine with the client (wife).

After that, obviously I want to be able to use clear coat in the future; so I'm going to have to set up a science project to get more information & eliminate all this conjecturing on my part. Using scrap pine I can set up some test boards with 3 patches each - 1'x2' patch of white primer, then a patch of the latex paint in question, then a patch that is stained. Some other variables are location (garage vs. the workshop) and brand/type of clear coat (the existing can of Polycrylic vs. oil-based polyurethane & maybe a different brand of water-based polyurethane). If I learn anything from the experiment, I'll post it here. Thanks for all the suggestions to date.
    Last edited by Randy Burgess; 01-20-2017 at 2:52 AM.