Thread: need to do some light plane cutter reshaping

need to do some light plane cutter reshaping

Hi Everyone,

This is a question more for a machining group but a) this is where I hang out and b) my tooling is limited. Here is the crux of the problem: I want to make a custom set of cutters for a Stanley No. 46 plow plane. That includes some sizes the originals didn't have and didn't include some I didn't need. I took a blank of 1/8" O1 steel to a local machine shop with what I thought were the specs but must not have explained the need properly.

I've attached a picture of what they should look like. The man cut the 20 degree ends (actually a 20 degree diagonal on 4" wide stock) but he didn't cut the 20 degree side bevels. After waiting a couple months for him to fix it, I took the blanks home and am weighing whether to just buy a set or keep going.

I've got a high-speed 8" grinder, a slow 10" water wheel, several belt sanders, angle grinders, a Dremel, saws and an assortment of dull files. No milling machine or lathe but a decent drill press. I'd like to add the 20 degree side bevels to some of the blanks. Since I will lose some nominal width, I'll have to use the next size up and remove extra stock.

If anyone has an idea how I can jig-up for some reasonably precise steel removal, I'd like to hear how you'd do it. BTW, the steel is still annealed so I can burn it blue with no problems. I'll harden it and temper it after I've slanted the sides and ground the primary bevel.

Thanks for any comments, sh

46 regrind.png
    Last edited by Skip Helms; 01-18-2017 at 6:32 PM. Reason: forgot picture